Extended and Efficient midrange: what do we have here? - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th December 2012, 07:10 AM   #51
Telstar is offline Telstar  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telstar View Post
I'll sim them tomorrow.
Here it is. The FR looks indeed good and the MOL is plenty.
NN: not knowing the actual power i put 100W which may be too much.
They are placed on the upper part of the box like this:
M M
_T_
_T_
M M

The polar plots did not change much from a single pair of bigger midrange, which is good.
The optimizer tends to lower the XO point too much and it did it here, but it's just to have an idea.
In the low midrange they are flatter than the PHL (18db active highpass around 150hz), but I have to say that I dont like the 3.8Ohm min impedance, so I would connect in series-parallel. I didnt sim it cuz it would screw the 4th order XO. I get about 93db efficiency which i believe is somewhat wrong (also for the tweeters), and i will redo the sims on some other software.

In both cases I can get useful output from 200hz with acceptable MOL so I'm very happy on this regard.

Please regard this as a very rough draft.
Attached Images
File Type: gif 4gr_par.gif (54.0 KB, 218 views)

Last edited by Telstar; 4th December 2012 at 07:11 AM. Reason: tweeters are centered
Old 4th December 2012, 11:48 AM   #52
DeonC is offline DeonC  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Hi guys

I second the suggestion for the AE TD6M. You could even have a look at the TD10M.

That said, I would like to make a slightly different suggestion (as usual). Have a look at the DC Gold Reference line of drivers. My personal suggestions would be the DC Gold N69R or DC Gold N7R or DC Gold N9.5R. If I have to compare them, I'd say that I would think the N69R would have the lowest distortion, because the cone is not a constant diameter- less chance for standing waves. The N7R has the nicest looking cast basket. The N95R would have the best dynamics, and is the most efficient. All three would be good choices. BTW, that grill in front of the cone is not just for protection- it's main goal is to improve the dispersion at higher frequencies, something it does well AFAIK. Just a very interesting and under-rated alternative.

Enjoy,
Deon
Old 4th December 2012, 12:01 PM   #53
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeonC View Post
I would like to make a slightly different suggestion (as usual). Have a look at the DC Gold Reference line of drivers. My personal suggestions would be the DC Gold N69R or DC Gold N7R or DC Gold N9.5R. If I have to compare them, I'd say that I would think the N69R would have the lowest distortion, because the cone is not a constant diameter- less chance for standing waves. The N7R has the nicest looking cast basket. The N95R would have the best dynamics, and is the most efficient. All three would be good choices. BTW, that grill in front of the cone is not just for protection- it's main goal is to improve the dispersion at higher frequencies, something it does well AFAIK. Just a very interesting and under-rated alternative.

Enjoy,
Deon
They are discontinued, available only in US in some forgotten stores with a cost of 300$ min per driver, which gets 400€ min with shipping and import duties. Uhm maybe not discontinued but i didnt find any reputable online store. The oval one is very interesting

Last edited by Telstar; 4th December 2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old 4th December 2012, 12:13 PM   #54
diyAudio Member

Hi Telstar

That seems strange as the website was relaunched quite recently. I live in South-Africa, so your information is probably better than mine. It's a pity, as I have just heard good reports about them.

Deon
Old 5th December 2012, 07:22 AM   #55
diyAudio Member

Hi guys

I checked, and they are still fully operational. In fact, they are launching a cast basket version of the N9.5R, which would be my choice for this application.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telstar View Post
The oval one is very interesting
It is, isn't it. According to them it is the best in the midrange. Something to think about. They have a list of dealers, including international dealers. Must be one there that could help. Well, I hope so anyway.

Enjoy,
Deon
Old 5th December 2012, 09:01 PM   #56
diyAudio Member

Added Scan-Speak 12MU/8731T00, a lovely 4" with very extended bandiwth.

I would loose 2dB (more respect to the PHL), but the actual simulation of my favourite tweeter results in about 93dB from 5k up, therefore it doesnt look too bad at all.
Attached the simulation with two 4" in parallel and 150hz active highpass.
Note that the valley around 3-4k is intentional and will stay 2-3db depressed in the final speakers.
Attached Images
File Type: gif 5miniss.gif (54.3 KB, 159 views)
Old 5th December 2012, 10:51 PM   #57
ORNJ is offline ORNJ  United States
diyAudio Member

So you decided to go with dual 4" after all?

I like the response so far, why do you want the null there out of curiosity?

Is this going to be a monitor or floor standing speaker?
Old 5th December 2012, 11:09 PM   #58
Account disabled at member's request

audax pr170
Old 6th December 2012, 08:56 AM   #59
Hylle is offline Hylle  Denmark
diyAudio Member

I see the Audax PR17M0 recommended a lot, but could someone comment on the sound of this driver, and how high can it be crossed over to the tweeter. It seems the frequence responce is uneven at higher frequences.
How does it sound without crossover?
Old 6th December 2012, 09:29 AM   #60
tubemax is offline tubemax  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Hi Telstar,
How about Eminence Alpha 6A - it has your target efficiency ( 94db with Fs 118Hz ), it could be upgraded by removing dust-cap and installing phase-plug to improve polar response up there in 4KHz region...

Max

Hide this!Advertise here!