Extended and Efficient midrange: what do we have here?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
No I haven't decided, but the 4" illuminator looks the best in my sim. Why the 3k dip? Because I'm sensitive to forward ness/shouting. If I have to notch to have a flat response vs having a little dip without EQ I prefer the latter. Note that our ears are sensitive to peaks while compensate naturally for dips (if not too wide).

Is the alpha 6A still in production? I checked all eminence catalogue last week, but I'll do it again. Please note that 200hz with an active high pass under it is my target low end band. I have found at least 2 drivers capable to go this low, so I will not settle for drivers that are not.

The Audax looks pretty weak in the low-bass, but I'll sim it anyway.

Last edited:
Is this going to be a monitor or floor standing speaker?

Forgot to answer to this. A kind of hybrid. For home use, but I listen at only 2m.
There is a third way for the low bass in a very damped TL that still has to be designed, which will work as stand or if dimensions require, will incorporate the MT section. I have two drawings - il will depend on some testing on the TL. My goal is for a low and very damped tuning <=25hz.

I second the suggestion for the AE TD6M. You could even have a look at the TD10M.

I looked at the TD6, both M and H version, which John seems to prefer for a MTM. I dont see any difference in the T/S data between these two, but I haven't contacted John for a quote and more info.
I'm not sure on the Pmax, i put a conservative 100W, but I believe is more.

I didnt sim the DC gold, I need a quote from a reliable retailer first. Importing from out of Europe costs about 40% of the speakers value.
This unfortunately puts the AD TD6 in the same pricerange of the 4" Illuminators for me, the FR is also similar, so the choice is in the crossing (a 4" beams higher ofc) vs my preference for larger cone area to reproduce a lively midbass.

Disabled Account
Joined 2011
No I haven't decided, but the 4" illuminator looks the best in my sim. Why the 3k dip? Because I'm sensitive to forward ness/shouting. If I have to notch to have a flat response vs having a little dip without EQ I prefer the latter. Note that our ears are sensitive to peaks while compensate naturally for dips (if not too wide).

Is the alpha 6A still in production? I checked all eminence catalogue last week, but I'll do it again. Please note that 200hz with an active high pass under it is my target low end band. I have found at least 2 drivers capable to go this low, so I will not settle for drivers that are not.

The Audax looks pretty weak in the low-bass, but I'll sim it anyway.
yeah but the audax crossed at 300hz will be okay and you will get one of the most accurate midrange ever made, according to certain people...

audax pr170

I see the Audax PR17M0 recommended a lot, but could someone comment on the sound of this driver, and how high can it be crossed over to the tweeter. It seems the frequence responce is uneven at higher frequences.

Medium 17cm aérogel haut rendement 8 ohms Audax PR170Z0
Médium HR Audax PR170M0

As you see, the best unit is the discontinued one, the 170Z0 - more extended FR, damped breakup and better off-axis at 2-4khz.

I dont think it can match the response of the TD6H, but I'm gonna check and compare with it. For a higher XO point, if you can get the Z0 version it has a very good reputation (but also PHL has, or Volt going to low sensitivity). Ok, I simulated it, very efficient, like the PHL needs some equalization in the low-end. IMO it can be crossed at 200hz, but I haven't seen the distortion profile. The PHL was ok from 250.

Last edited:
I had to discard the TD6H due to the huge dip around 800hz, which comes in the middle of the usable range.
Also I decided not to go with 4", of which I would need 4 units per speaker to get similar cone area, and that would be too expensive and change quite a bit of the layout.

After more simulations and thinking, these two comes always on top: the PHL 1130 and the Supravox 165GMF - I'll get a pair of each and test in mono, and resell the one I like the less.
This wont happen before february, so for now the thread goes into lethargy :)

I had to discard the TD6H due to the huge dip around 800hz, which comes in the middle of the usable range.
Also I decided not to go with 4", of which I would need 4 units per speaker to get similar cone area, and that would be too expensive and change quite a bit of the layout.

After more simulations and thinking, these two comes always on top: the PHL 1130 and the Supravox 165GMF - I'll get a pair of each and test in mono, and resell the one I like the less.
This wont happen before february, so for now the thread goes into lethargy :)

According to John the dip has been fixed now, when I get around to build the boxes and put the drivers in them I'll be able to confirm or contradict this =)

Another one that has had good responses though is the 6ND430, very very good performance though not clean as high up as the TD6M since it has a nastier breakup. Much cheaper though, especially here in Europe.

According to John the dip has been fixed now, when I get around to build the boxes and put the drivers in them I'll be able to confirm or contradict this =)

Looking to it. John didnt give me a quote :/

Another one that has had good responses though is the 6ND430, very very good performance though not clean as high up as the TD6M since it has a nastier breakup. Much cheaper though, especially here in Europe.

raising fr and bad breakup, no ty.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.