Bose 901 Series V

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Got this pair of series 5 of 901. just finished recapping the equalizer , and re-foaming the whole set . During my work , one of the speakers was damaged by a screwdriver
Thought a lot about it , and decided to put the damaged one on the front side - where there is only 1 speaker. and canceled it !
I had to connect the 2 wires together (apparently they are designed to work as a chain - if 1 driver isn't connected , there is no sound at all!
so no , i flipped the speakers , so the back side is directed to me . and the front side is backwards but with both speakers not driving the lone driver)
will the sound be affected?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yes, obviously - you no longer have the proper ratio of direct sound to indirect sound that is the design intent of the 901, and more importantly the design is equalized taking the ratio of direct to indirect sound into the room into account. I would either recone the busted driver if you cannot patch it or get a proper replacement for that driver.

I'm not a big fan of the 901, but you have more or less erased the main intent of the design by making it not direct/reflecting in operation. The ratio of 1/9 direct radiation to 8/9 indirect was a deliberate choice by Dr. Bose in the original design.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.