Help update speakers with personal history - Pioneer driver replacements

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Over thanksgiving, my 86 year old grandfather gifted me speakers I helped him build 15+ years ago as a teenager. They are 3 ways with discontinued pioneer drivers. The ferrofluid has dried up in the tweeters, and surrounds are toast on the sealed back midrange drivers; woofers are fine.

I'd like to update them slightly, but otherwise keep them as a living memento of a special time in life with my grandfather.

I've come a long way with technical expertise in audio since then. I currently compose the monthly technical article for FOH magazine, and am quite comfortable with speaker design, but primarily in the pro sound world. I've not exactly kept my pulse on HiFi drivers in the last decade.

I'm hoping for suggestions on square flange tweeters (approx 4" square), and for a midrange that will mount in a 5" cutout that is either sealed, or has a backing cup available for purchase. I'm open to all moderately priced suggestions.

I'll add impedance compensation networks and rejigger the XO values as needed, but I'd prefer driver that don't require any heavy lifting in terms of complex notch filters or the like. I have full test and measurement suites.

Thanks in advance for any help on this project.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.