Slot loaded midbass & dispersion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello there,

I'm planning to build a 3-way upwards firing omni. up to 300 hz will be handled by a 10'' driver which makes me think: would cone sag possibly become a problem in the long run?

So to avoid that I though of the possibility to mount the woofer sideways and mount it in a slot instead, like in this picture:
attachment.php

I still want as good dispersion as if it was mounted upwards or good enough such that it doesn't matter, and so the question is if slot loading would achieve this or if there are lots of issues?

Thanks in advance
Olle

Attachments

• DSC_0060.jpg
    DSC_0060.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 465
Slot loading will widen the dispersion in the thin dimension, and will be about the same as the piston diameter dictates in the long dimension.
It will also add a resonant peak and dip.
As a guess, the peak and dip would be in the 250-400 Hz range with the plenum you sketched.
You can model in Hornresp to find whether the peak/dip will be a problem with your chosen crossover.

Art

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.