Speakers for an actual bookshelf - seeking woofer recs.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I know, I know, but it's a request from a family member to replace speakers that are not coming off the shelf, period. It's also being done on the cheap. So, I'm looking for CHEAP (~$40 USD/each) woofer suggestions for a pseudo-in-wall 2-way. Here's the specifics:

- small 2-way for use inside an in-wall bookshelf. They don't actually have to be super small volume-wise - there's an approx. 30 cm cube of space to work with, so maybe 20 liters. I figure 5" to ~7" woofers are workable with that baffle height.

- I generally understand how this kind-of-in-the-wall situation will affect things, but if anyone has any hands-on tips for what kind of bass sim targets give good results in this flawed speaker location, I'd love to hear it.

- I think I'll probably use an old Genesis 1" inverted dome tweeter, which does well enough on its original ~2kHz (electrical) 1st order filter. I don't intend to end up with the same filter, but a woofer that could meet that easily would be a nice starting point.

- Impressive bass is not needed, but there will NOT be a sub so there's got to be some. It would be nice to hit ~90dB sensitivity because there's not much budget for amplification, either.

I think that pretty much covers it. For crossover design, these will be measured and simulated to the best of my basement capabilities. Any thoughts? I was thinking about the M130... Several Peerless options, but I think they are all pretty severely excursion limited on a full-range signal? I'm not sure, it's hard to keep their model numbers straight.

i suggest trying a kit from one of the online supply stores, probably better than trying it yourself.

rock bottom price but not a lot of bass would be these with a front vented cabinet, i havent heard them but the drivers are used in some more expensive designs.
The Madisound Speaker Store

I have built these and they reach very low but lack a bit in the low-mids, very nice tweeter though for good high end detail.
Classix II Kit Pr

not sure if that was the advice you are looking for

Last edited:
If you use a pair of those TangBands, I'd be interested in your design. I'm not a designer, but I like to build different speakers. I might end up building a pair of the Neutrinos, but that depends on what else I find. There is another build, the Speedsters which are on my "maybe" list. I picked up a pair of the TangBands at the special price last time I placed an order, just so I'd have a pair for a future build.
Mike

If you use a pair of those TangBands, I'd be interested in your design. I'm not a designer, but I like to build different speakers. I might end up building a pair of the Neutrinos, but that depends on what else I find. There is another build, the Speedsters which are on my "maybe" list. I picked up a pair of the TangBands at the special price last time I placed an order, just so I'd have a pair for a future build.
Mike
When I saw the shelf, I realized it wasn't quite like I remembered and would not act significantly different than a standmount location, so the pseudo-in-wall thing did not come into play. I did use the TB midwoofers, though, and I have some of the details posted here: Genesis 1/2 Design Thread - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.