Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Cambridge Audio R50 and Rogers Monitor repair
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th January 2013, 09:07 PM   #11
jerryb is offline jerryb  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I consider myself prodded

http://www.falconacoustics.co.uk/dow...nstruction.pdf

Jerry
Old 15th January 2013, 09:31 PM   #12
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Thanx Jerry, saves me finding & scanning it.

dave
Old 16th January 2013, 06:52 PM   #13
DrBoar is offline DrBoar  Sweden
diyAudio Member

R50 use a classical 18dB octave filter. KEF showed that such a filter interact with the T27 in such a way as to cause a peak at 10 kHz and a decline over the last top octave. The KEF aB filter adressed this problem and then the T27 does not need a super tweeter.
Old 1st February 2013, 01:05 AM   #14
zx12r is offline zx12r
diyAudio Member

Hi there

I joined your Forum , after looking for R50 information, concerning what amplifier to use .(I am currently driving my R50 copies with an Inca Tech - The Claymore) , and came across this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikespeakers View Post
I've got two I made 20 years ago with Falcon crossovers and 4001G supertweeters. Unfortunately I'd lost the page from the original Webb article with the front panel spacings so I did it by guesswork from a photo.

Does any kind person have the page or could measure one they've got. Webb says the spacing between the treble units is critical so the distance between centres would be particularly helpful. In fact all I really need is spacings between the four driver centres.

I've got most of Webb's article marked 1/75 so if I can help anyone.

I have a copy of ,

Hi-Fi Answers - Transmission Line Monitor Speaker Build by C.J Rogers.

Badger Sound Services - Speaker Constructor's Service , with the same build , slightly better quality print .

Cambridge Audio Loudspeakers - original R40 , R50 brochure .

B139, B110 and T27 installation drawings .

And an 'A1' drawing of the speaker plan . (might be difficult to scan this one) .

If this is what you looking for ,

I will scan it all , and put it on my web page . (fingers crossed )

Thanx Dave.

Old 8th April 2013, 06:24 PM   #15
48kg is offline 48kg  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

First of all i am only trying to help!

I was fortunate at the age of 24yrs in 1972 working at a shopfitting company in Sittingbourne Kent UK was able to cut and assemble these R40 & R50 speaker cabinets for the Cambridge loudspeaker company.

I am now 65yrs and 41yrs further on i had to wait to only just obtain my first pair of original R50`s.

When each person assembled these speakers when finished there initials were written inside on the bottom and mine have JW and John worked on the bench next to myself so i would of helped him take these speakers to our large press when assembly was complete and the glue was all wet ready for it to cure which took about 2 1/2 hours, the press was right next to our heater so curing in all weathers was no problem.

My initials are KG so some of you may have those written on the inside of your own speakers cabinets.

The drawings in the .pdf ones do have some errors other than that pointed out. The Major one is the fact that a groove 12mm x 5mm deep and being machined from 75mm down from the top of the front baffle plate on the right side looking at the front extends to within 12mm of the bottom so the air does not escape! The groove is 22mm in from the edge because of the softwood fixing battens.

This groove is to easily enable the connecting wires from all the speakers and the crossover in the top void to escape down to the base void and to the rear of the cabinet for external connection. The whole front baffle plate with speakers can be assembled on the bench and when soldering completed the groove has a sealing putty like substance pressed over it so when assembling the front completed baffle to the cabinet the putty seals the groove with it`s wires where it crosses the dividing panels for the different voids thus keeping them airtight to one another.

This is an easier and more professional way than drilling holes for wires into each void and aralditeing each hole. It also enables all to be completed on the bench.

The Super Tweeter recess hole in the front baffle is 3" and NOT 4"

The 2" x 1 1/2" softwood batten in the bass void goes front side to side and is not a "T" shape with part going to the rear of the cabinet. We used to use this to lift with one hand and steadying the top of the cabinet with the other when removing them from the press.

I am at the moment renovating my R50`s back to original as far as possible.
I have replaced the end edges veneer with iron on Teak wood veneer instead of contact glue and plain teak veneer. To give the aged look or Patina stain the new teak with Georgian Medium Oak stain and apply some French polish and wire wool and wax polish after hardening. The finish on the side panels was always Shellac which was sprayed on to give the French polish look.

I hope i have been some help to those thinking of making there own speakers from those very fine drawings. Of course time moves on but this is how they were constructed from 1972 to 1976 at our factory.

Keith Graham
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 031.JPG (435.3 KB, 228 views)
File Type: jpg 034.JPG (621.4 KB, 202 views)
File Type: jpg 037.JPG (686.2 KB, 197 views)
File Type: jpg 040.JPG (581.0 KB, 193 views)
File Type: jpg 041.JPG (305.0 KB, 191 views)

Last edited by 48kg; 8th April 2013 at 06:45 PM.
Old 20th May 2013, 11:38 AM   #16
ParalabFan is offline ParalabFan  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Cambridge R50 Repair

Great to see another R50 in bits.

I am also starting to rebuild a pair but the campartment filling has been moved about, if you haven't already take a look at my thread "Cambridge R50/Ex Baobab speakers".
I am trying to find out how all the filling is suposed to fit correctly, apart from the stuff shown in my pics there is a roll and sheet of what looks like carpet underlay. Have you taken the foam off the front of yours and if so can you help?
Old 20th May 2013, 06:05 PM   #17
fborden is offline fborden  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Hi ParalabFan

I have put the pictures of my R50 repair on my site at: Cambridge Audio R50

Please have a look if this can help
Old 20th May 2013, 06:28 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

What a great set of pictures, thanks for the link. How did you get on with the filling for the bass bit at the bottom. did you have the same materials I have in mine, see my thread, can you remember how they were when you opened the speakers up?
Old 20th May 2013, 06:37 PM   #19
fborden is offline fborden  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

The bass chamber was fitted with longhair wool like "Dr. Bailey's longhair wool" that can be found at remo.nl
In the B110 chamber my speaker indeed has the foam plug.
I ordered a set of replacement filters from falcon audio which I will receive this week. I am really curious about the effect it will have on the sound.

Last edited by fborden; 20th May 2013 at 06:55 PM.
Old 26th May 2013, 11:58 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fborden View Post
The bass chamber was fitted with longhair wool like "Dr. Bailey's longhair wool" that can be found at remo.nl
In the B110 chamber my speaker indeed has the foam plug.
I ordered a set of replacement filters from falcon audio which I will receive this week. I am really curious about the effect it will have on the sound.
I would be intersted to hear the results as I have just built the F6M crossover and until I have finished the cabinets and obtained all the speakers I won't be able to hear them.

Cambridge Audio R50 and Rogers Monitor repairHide this!Advertise here!