Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Linn majik isobarik active bass xover
Linn majik isobarik active bass xover
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th November 2012, 02:39 AM   #1
audiobomber is offline audiobomber  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Linn majik isobarik active bass xover

A friend of mine has these Linn speakers: Product Information

They allow biamping with active drive on the woofers using a Linn card that fits in a Linn amp. Unfortunately he doesn't use a Linn amp, so he needs a third-party crossover.

The idea is to drive the mids passively and bass actively. According to the spec, the design bass crossover is 120 Hz, 4th-order Butterworth. Would we be able to substitute a L-R 4th order at 150 Hz? I believe that would still give about 120 Hz @ -3dB and a similar slope.
Old 26th November 2012, 07:27 AM   #2
bzfcocon is offline bzfcocon  Romania
diyAudio Member

I don't think substituting a LR4@150Hz is a good idea. If the speakers were designed with Butterworth 4th order, a LR4 will simply not give the same amplitude and phase response. If you are trying to compensate the sharper corner of Butterworth by going up to LR4 150Hz: that will result in significantly more midbass radiated our of the woofers, probably not good for woofers in a bandpass.

Why not just use a Butterworth4@120Hz as specified ?
Old 26th November 2012, 06:42 PM   #3
audiobomber is offline audiobomber  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzfcocon View Post
Why not just use a Butterworth4@120Hz as specified ?
He's looking at Marchand crossovers. Neither the XM1 or XM9 come with BW filters, only L-R. The XM44 allows any slope or frequency, but it's a lot more money. I suggested he look at the DCX24-96.

Linn majik isobarik active bass xoverHide this!Advertise here!