Linn majik isobarik active bass xover

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A friend of mine has these Linn speakers: Product Information

They allow biamping with active drive on the woofers using a Linn card that fits in a Linn amp. Unfortunately he doesn't use a Linn amp, so he needs a third-party crossover.

The idea is to drive the mids passively and bass actively. According to the spec, the design bass crossover is 120 Hz, 4th-order Butterworth. Would we be able to substitute a L-R 4th order at 150 Hz? I believe that would still give about 120 Hz @ -3dB and a similar slope.

I don't think substituting a LR4@150Hz is a good idea. If the speakers were designed with Butterworth 4th order, a LR4 will simply not give the same amplitude and phase response. If you are trying to compensate the sharper corner of Butterworth by going up to LR4 150Hz: that will result in significantly more midbass radiated our of the woofers, probably not good for woofers in a bandpass.

Why not just use a Butterworth4@120Hz as specified ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.