Phasing/soundtage anomaly

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I use two sets of speakers running in parallel. If I wire them all in phase the sound is fine and bass is solid and coherent. If I wire one pair out of phase with the other, I seem to get a much better insight into the recording and a lot more detail. However on some tracks the bass is ill defined and doesn't sound right, on others it appears to go much deeper and is perfectly ok?

When I invert the polarity on only one of the subwoofers I get the exact same result that you describe, and yes, only on some recordings (seems to sound better on some, not all, orchestral material)
I decided to install a switch to select correct/inverse polarity on one sub so I can enjoy the better sound on those recordings.
I would like to know what is causing this perceived improvement. As a subjective perception, though, even the experts will have a difficult task in pointing to a cause, I guess.

I have always struggled to like the production on the Massive Attack - Protection CD. The title track has a repetitive bass line that has always (on any system I have had) sounded boomy. I listened to this CD today, and it was a revelation. I have never heard the bass sound so tuneful and "right". In the same way I listened to Teardrop - Massive Attack and heard a bass line (almost subliminal) that I had never heard before. The whole track sounded fantastic.

DF96, you say that out of phase speakers will reduce bass. Is this only where they are being used in conjunction with "in-phase" speakers or as a general rule?

I have not experienced a reduction in the amount of bass, but a refinement and greater depth. I am having a great time:D it's good to fiddle:eek:

By 'out of phase' I mean out of phase with another speaker, either in parallel or the other stereo channel. This causes partial cancellation of bass. The cancellation is less effective at higher frequencies. It will normally destroy the stereo image, if the recording had a proper stereo image. If it is just pan-potted multichannel then it might do less harm.

I use two sets of speakers running in parallel.
By two "sets" of speakers do you mean different 'kinds" of speakers "paired up"? Because if that's what you've got it is entirely likely that they have different box and port tuning, and thus phase shift . . . resulting in a different pattern of cancellation and re-enforcement depending on the relative phase of the connection of the two boxes (this would persist over the whole operating range, but be most obvious in the bass . . . at higher frequencies it would probably just sound "phasey").

By two "sets" of speakers do you mean different 'kinds" of speakers "paired up"? Because if that's what you've got it is entirely likely that they have different box and port tuning, and thus phase shift . . . resulting in a different pattern of cancellation and re-enforcement depending on the relative phase of the connection of the two boxes (this would persist over the whole operating range, but be most obvious in the bass . . . at higher frequencies it would probably just sound "phasey").

Yes, two different kinds paired up (everyone tells you NOT to do this:D)
I get a much better image IMO, seems almost 3D, not 2D.

Interesting indeed, yet it makes me wonder what (my) simple open baffle speakers do to create an almost 180 degree soundstage with regular music. (example: playing Madonna's Frozen and The power of goodbye coincidentally right now (128 Kbps mp3!)) Not to mention getting a surround sound from tv series/movies.

It seems to me that omni/dipole can create surround soundstages without extra trickery because the ear/brain will sort things out anyway (depending on the quality of the recording)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.