Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th November 2012, 05:33 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Fiber fill vs. fiberglass vs. wool vs lined cabinet walls

Ok, so when to use what and where?

I am building 3-way speakers and a pair of subs (all sealed) and need to figure out the interior treatments / stuffing. Are there guidelines as to which dampening material is best suited to certain areas? for example, mid range enclosures vs sub enclosures, rear cabinet walls vs. sides?

How about deflex, vs some batting on the rear walls?

Thx
Old 24th November 2012, 07:41 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

In a sealed box the main purposes of the stuffing are absorbing the rear radiation from drivers and, for the lf driver, to lower airspeed inside the box so that it appears larger
from the drivers point of wiev.

I think the best way is to use dampening felt, the green 1/2" stuff used on car floors, glued to all inner walls and then the entire interior filled with good quality wool or Twaron angel hair, how much You need is related to drivers parameters.
For midrange its all about absorbing so there is almost no limit to how much stuffing to use.
Old 24th November 2012, 10:39 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

The best stuffing material for sealed boxes is fiberglass. It has been shown in test after test. It does the best job of enhancing box volume (lower bass) and damping of reflections off the rear wall. My rule of thumb is use about 1 lb per cu. ft of volume to stuff. Get some wall insulation FG from your local HD or Lowes.
With regard to midrange drivers, you can also use FG. But, in the case of some of them (I know Seas for sure) the VC is exposed, use crimped polyester pillow stuffing available from a craft store. The PET isn't brittle like FG and thus won't break into small pieces that could get into the VC gap.
Old 24th November 2012, 12:47 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Bonded Logic Ultra Touch recycled denim has close to the same properties as fiberglass and is a lot easier to handle.

In the U.S. the best deal is order 6 rolls online from Home Depot.
Old 24th November 2012, 01:28 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I assume that the fiber size and shape are what gives fiberglass an edge in acoustical performance. Has thinsulate and other ultra fine fiber batting been tested as well? Just curious since my mid range is Seas and the abrasive nature of FG slightly concerns me with regard to the voicecoil...
Old 24th November 2012, 02:21 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastbike1 View Post
Bonded Logic Ultra Touch recycled denim has close to the same properties as fiberglass and is a lot easier to handle.

In the U.S. the best deal is order 6 rolls online from Home Depot.
Interesting idea and NRC looks good and up there with Mineral fiber I used for bass traps

People are saying that the stuff from home depot isn't decompressing to the full thickness..

Wonder about the acoustic specific panels from Bonded Logic..

Thanks for this. I will get samples and try it out..
Maybe cover the speaker cabinets with a T Shirt
Old 24th November 2012, 02:52 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooshball View Post
I assume that the fiber size and shape are what gives fiberglass an edge in acoustical performance. Has thinsulate and other ultra fine fiber batting been tested as well? Just curious since my mid range is Seas and the abrasive nature of FG slightly concerns me with regard to the voicecoil...
Fiber diameter is the key.
There will always be materials that haven't been tried as stuffing. There's another thread in this forum where a guy is planning a whole series of trials with different materials.
If you don't have an aversion to FG, saver yourself some time and just use that.

I've personally experimented with wool in different fineness levels, bamboo, foam blocks, FG, PET in different fineness levels, etc, etc.....
Old 24th November 2012, 02:53 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Found a place in Toronto that sells the Bonded Logic Acoustic Panel..

I'll take a look at it and see if its worth trying..

Joel
Old 24th November 2012, 02:57 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

acoustic panels will work great in damping internal reflections. They won't have an effect on maximizing bass extension unless to stuff the box with the panels.
Old 24th November 2012, 03:00 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to JRKO
I'm guessing your aiming higher than this but for an uber cheap option I've used Ikea Inner cushions fill. Worked a treat and is good for playing with stuffing variations without ruining the good stuff

Hide this!Advertise here!