Fiber fill vs. fiberglass vs. wool vs lined cabinet walls

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
See my threads on stuffing tests. Summary: For a sealed box, I went back to plain old FG insulation packed pretty tight. Much tighter than I expected. Pillow stuffing was terrible. Cotton, wool, foam, and boutique stuffing worked about as well, but cost a lot more. All that hub-bub on activated carbon I consider just plain inappropriate as I want a speaker, not a de-humidifier. ( and my test showed it did not work anyway). I learned enough to not bother with more tests and no one else seemed willing to take up the next level, just argue with no facts. So I am back to working on other problems. Can't decide: Small three way with first order crossovers or another two way with the Satori and OM1.

Is there any rissue with the moving parts in a speaker and the harsh nature of fiberglass causing wear or damage?

Thx

Not backed. They expand to ~ 2.5"

Thanks (ditto to Pano; your answers were different but no backing vs. easy-to-peel backing is all the same to me) and also for the heads up about their expansion. I have nowhere really to lay them out to expand - loft, with two ferocious mini-lions who I bet would love to rip this kind of stuff apart - so good to know to account for expansion during the installation.

To reduce wall resonance, bitumen converts vibrations into heat.
Bathroom tiles glued with wisco elastic glue is also very good.
Felt or foam on the walls are menaingless!!

The air wave has no speed close to the wall.
Stuffing should be close to the speaker element!
Since the speed is highest near the membrane the stuffing works best there...

To reduce wall resonance, bitumen converts vibrations into heat.
Bathroom tiles glued with wisco elastic glue is also very good.
Felt or foam on the walls are menaingless!!

The air wave has no speed close to the wall.
Stuffing should be close to the speaker element!
Since the speed is highest near the membrane the stuffing works best there...

Perhaps a system approach is the best? A heavy layer for resonance and a fiber layer to reduce reflections back through the driver?

Not backed. They expand to ~ 2.5"

Indeed, not backed.

I suspect Pano and you/I were talking about two different BL Ultratouch products. Pano probably meant the 3" thick "heater blanket, and we meant the "2-inch" thick rolls.

Mine were on my doorstep today. Kind of surprising how small the box they came in was. Also, while HD lists the thickness as 2", the rolls say 1.8". And compressed they look more like 1".

I do hope they still expand, because six of the 16" x 48" rolls doesn't look like enough for three 1.5 cubic foot mains, and two 2 cubic foot "flanking subs."

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.