Fiber fill vs. fiberglass vs. wool vs lined cabinet walls - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2012, 11:32 AM   #11
Pallas is offline Pallas  Pakistan
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: ATL
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastbike1 View Post
Bonded Logic Ultra Touch recycled denim has close to the same properties as fiberglass and is a lot easier to handle.

In the U.S. the best deal is order 6 rolls online from Home Depot.
I can't tell from the website - is are the thin HD rolls backed with anything, or are they suitable as is to use as loose fill?
__________________
Serious Audio Blog
  Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2012, 11:48 AM   #12
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Md
See my threads on stuffing tests. Summary: For a sealed box, I went back to plain old FG insulation packed pretty tight. Much tighter than I expected. Pillow stuffing was terrible. Cotton, wool, foam, and boutique stuffing worked about as well, but cost a lot more. All that hub-bub on activated carbon I consider just plain inappropriate as I want a speaker, not a de-humidifier. ( and my test showed it did not work anyway). I learned enough to not bother with more tests and no one else seemed willing to take up the next level, just argue with no facts. So I am back to working on other problems. Can't decide: Small three way with first order crossovers or another two way with the Satori and OM1.
  Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2012, 11:53 AM   #13
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvrgeek View Post
See my threads on stuffing tests. Summary: For a sealed box, I went back to plain old FG insulation packed pretty tight. Much tighter than I expected. Pillow stuffing was terrible. Cotton, wool, foam, and boutique stuffing worked about as well, but cost a lot more. All that hub-bub on activated carbon I consider just plain inappropriate as I want a speaker, not a de-humidifier. ( and my test showed it did not work anyway). I learned enough to not bother with more tests and no one else seemed willing to take up the next level, just argue with no facts. So I am back to working on other problems. Can't decide: Small three way with first order crossovers or another two way with the Satori and OM1.
Readers take note of tvegeek's results with cotton.

Bonded Logic Ultra-touch is COTTON. I've tried cottan as well and got the same results as tvrgeek as far as bass LF extension is concerned.

Damping cabinet reflections is a WHOLE OTHER DISCUSSION from cabinet volume enhancement via stuffing optimization.
__________________
"It's all about the music!"
  Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2012, 12:01 PM   #14
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Front Row Center
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakerdoctor View Post
The best stuffing material for sealed boxes is fiberglass. It has been shown in test after test. It does the best job of enhancing box volume (lower bass) and damping of reflections off the rear wall. My rule of thumb is use about 1 lb per cu. ft of volume to stuff. Get some wall insulation FG from your local HD or Lowes.
With regard to midrange drivers, you can also use FG. But, in the case of some of them (I know Seas for sure) the VC is exposed, use crimped polyester pillow stuffing available from a craft store. The PET isn't brittle like FG and thus won't break into small pieces that could get into the VC gap.
Agree totally , nasty to work with , but easily the most effective ...!!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2012, 12:04 PM   #15
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Front Row Center
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvrgeek View Post
See my threads on stuffing tests. Summary: For a sealed box, I went back to plain old FG insulation packed pretty tight. Much tighter than I expected. Pillow stuffing was terrible. Cotton, wool, foam, and boutique stuffing worked about as well, but cost a lot more. All that hub-bub on activated carbon I consider just plain inappropriate as I want a speaker, not a de-humidifier. ( and my test showed it did not work anyway). I learned enough to not bother with more tests and no one else seemed willing to take up the next level, just argue with no facts. So I am back to working on other problems. Can't decide: Small three way with first order crossovers or another two way with the Satori and OM1.
3 way ....
  Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2012, 12:25 PM   #16
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: UK
Do you really need stuffing and damping panels on the walls? Doesn't the stuffing do a pretty good job of absorbing the reflections as well as doing the resonant frequency thing? Commercial speakers I've looked in (not all that many admittedly) only seem to have stuffing or foam panels, but not both.
  Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2012, 12:36 PM   #17
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: in half space
The stuffing is for the air, the damping is for the panels. They both vibrate, but have very different mass/stiffness ratios, or impedance. What works best for each is different. Sure, commercial speakers makers cut corners, but in DIY, optimising both is one of our cheaper thrills.
  Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2012, 12:42 PM   #18
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperTop View Post
Do you really need stuffing and damping panels on the walls? Doesn't the stuffing do a pretty good job of absorbing the reflections as well as doing the resonant frequency thing? Commercial speakers I've looked in (not all that many admittedly) only seem to have stuffing or foam panels, but not both.
Reread post #3.
I haven't seen both foam and stuffing in the same box either. I've seen foam blocks used to replace the use of stuffing (vintage Advents). Not quite as effective but certainly easier to work with as far as production worker safety is concerned.
__________________
"It's all about the music!"
  Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2012, 12:56 PM   #19
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator
 
Pano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Milliways
Blog Entries: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pallas View Post
I can't tell from the website - is are the thin HD rolls backed with anything, or are they suitable as is to use as loose fill?
The thin rolls have a foil backing. It pulls right off. The large batts have no backing and are a looser pack.
__________________
Take the Speaker Voltage Test!
  Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2012, 01:51 PM   #20
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakerdoctor View Post
Readers take note of tvegeek's results with cotton.

Bonded Logic Ultra-touch is COTTON. I've tried cottan as well and got the same results as tvrgeek as far as bass LF extension is concerned.

Damping cabinet reflections is a WHOLE OTHER DISCUSSION from cabinet volume enhancement via stuffing optimization.
Is there a previous discussion regarding damping cabinet reflections? This was my originsl intent for the question but I may not have been clear...

Thx
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sand filled cabinet walls question zmyrna Multi-Way 48 28th June 2012 09:55 AM
OB Wool vs 703 Fiberglass ? GregOH1 Multi-Way 2 27th May 2007 05:07 PM
FS: Long fiber wool mikebarney Swap Meet 1 8th February 2006 02:03 AM
Slot port. Using cabinet walls. How to correct? Help! tarnationsauce Subwoofers 3 22nd July 2005 08:53 PM
Method for attach fiberglass to MDF walls JC Fardo Multi-Way 7 13th April 2005 07:32 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 06:44 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2