suggestion for a 15 inch, under 200$ each that is good from 35hz to 300hz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This depends on a lot of things..

efficiency/senstivity, baffle size, cabinet volume, vent or sealed, expected low freq. character/bandwidth, etc..

Assuming you want a fair bit of gain to overcome baffle-step pressure loss I'd recommend these for your intended bandwidth and price constraint:

Eminence Legend CB158 15" Bass Guitar Speaker 290-497

Honestly though, a 15" doesn't immediately come to mind for such a pairing..

The Audax PR240M0 in a large (volume) vented cabinet does.

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/pro-sound/audax-pr240m0-professional-10-woofer/

Disabled Account
Joined 2011
okay, well I want a 15 inch because I have read so much about the advantage of a 15inch in the 100 to 300 hz, but I'm open for other size, but I want that big bass, and a 15 inch seems to be the way people do it.

Okay, the cabinet must not be larger/width then 18 inch. thats my only requirement, it can be quite deep but not too wide.

I dont need efficiency that much. I have two sub amps of around 150wpc and they have built in crossover.

I want the setup to be able to make a clean 30hz but im not too fussy about 25 hz. as long as it gets to 30hz.
I have no idea what cabinet I should do. I'm quite new in the diyaudio world, but I want to step up my game and go from a fullrange to a 2 way with a good sound in the critical range in the 100 to 300hz and so I decided for a 15 inch.
I will cross the FR at around 300hz with my preamp pass b1. I have a built in first order highâss and I could set it to 300hz.

I hope I gave enough details. ohh and for the enclosure, the 15 inch should be placed quite high because my setup is in my bedroom, quite large but still theres a bed placed at 3 feet from the speakers and the bed is 21 inch high, so I think that to get the best sound, the woofer would need to be placed around15 inch off the ground?

Should I build two different enclosure or just put both drivers in the same box?
Finally, I have a super tweeter, I might want to use it...

thanks

Lower mass driver more "consonant" with moderate mass full-range.

Smaller baffle width (unless making them open baffle for the full-range driver).

Actually that might be a good idea - 15" with a an open baffle full-range a'la Olsher's "Basszilla". Say 9 cubic foot volume (CB15), about 18 inches wide, vented to the front with a tuning freq. of 22 Hz. That would give you plenty of spl to work with.. It would be total bass overload for a smaller room like a bedroom though. :eek:

yeah - 6 cubic foot sealed with the Audax would likely be sufficient for your needs.. ;)

basszilla - Google Search

Last edited:
The alp12p is barely over 90db. Are you going to want 6db or more worth of baffle step compensation? Considering you're only using a first order high pass at 300hz, you're going to get some of that compensation from the 12p. You want a woofer that can hit 30hz well. And size seems to be somewhat important.

Considering all the above, I'm going to reinforce my suggestion of the SB Acoustics or a similar low 90s sensitivity 12" woofer. The high effeciency pro woofers are giving up bass and size for sensitivity you don't need. Get the drivers closer together with a smaller driver for your somewhat close listening distance.

what is the difference between the eminence cb158 and omega pro? why should I go for one of the other?

Smaller volume requirements for the Omega Pro. It does have more mms however, but not a lot.

Very similar drivers, though with much higher power handling from the Omega Pro.

..what you *should* do, that I can't answer. ;)

I can tell you that I wouldn't do either for a bedroom, and particularly not with just a plate-amp's low pass filter. :eek:

Tux's suggestion of the SB12 is probably a better idea given the limitations of the plate-amp's low pass filter (..though I wouldn't do that either).

Just what IS the lowpass filter for the plate amp? 6 (1st), 12 (2nd), 18(3rd), 24(4th)? What type is it.. Bessel? LR? etc.. What is the range of freq. settings?

Last edited:
Yup. It's a driver selection that somewhat matches what he asked for, but I'd do it different too. Murphy. For a bedroom. About about Crossing around 100hz. Use subwoofer. Maybe 8 or 10 inchers. 4 of them. Spread them around the room. Small sealed boxes. Probably get better bass going with a sub system.

Yes, I think the most critical portion is the transition region of the crossover.. Blending a low mass fullrange with a driver that's more than 3 times the mass smack in the middle of the midrange isn't a good idea. (..and made worse with all the other constraints.)

Disabled Account
Joined 2011
Yup. It's a driver selection that somewhat matches what he asked for, but I'd do it different too. Murphy. For a bedroom. About about Crossing around 100hz. Use subwoofer. Maybe 8 or 10 inchers. 4 of them. Spread them around the room. Small sealed boxes. Probably get better bass going with a sub system.
okay, well I have a stereo sub right now... all I know is that I dont get the realistic bass. its there, but it still sound small, not too small, but I'm sure I can get better?

I want a big sound. I dont play loud, I never play loud, but I want a big sound, a realistic bass... am I mistaken here? I have read a lot around here, and nothing seems to replace a true 15 inch, but maybe I'm wrong?!
My bedroom is my room for now, the room is still somewhat decent. its not a 10 by 10, more like a 15 by 13...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.