about Vandersteens - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th November 2012, 03:24 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bxboy3191
Default about Vandersteens

Hello ,It's my 1st post here and I hope to garner some info from the forum. I have a h/t system that I wasn't all thrilled w/ so I ventured back into the 2-chl.realm.Now my system is an Adcom gfa555-Onkyo P-301 pre-Denon 1940ci cdp-and I share the I-pod and dock w/ my h/t and some other sources. For my h/t speakers I have Klipsch h/d 500 smalls w/ an 8 pwrd sub. For my 2-chl I have a
mixed bag of Bose 601s-Infinity sm112s-ADC303X-and in the bdrm JBL-J2060
bookies.I know I really need a set of go to speakers and lately the 2 choices have been Ohm/Walsh 2xos or Vandersteen 2ce signatures. I have heard the Vs
and were really impressed and as the reviewer says they do it all very well. I have noticed that people do tend to upgrade a lot w/ this brand and was wondering why satisfaction is never really achieved if another line is coming w/ something always bigger and better.So, guys any advice here I know most of what I have will go but the Bose were brought back from death and I just like them so they will stay other than that any other recommendations for about $1000 used.
Old 20th November 2012, 04:01 PM   #2
chrisb is online now chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Well, this is a DIY forum, as in build your own, and further, Full Range - so don't be surprised at a lot of advice to try your hand at construction - for "about $1000" I'm sure no dearth of system suggestions will come your way

What exactly about the HT rig was not floating your boat, and was that on listening to music, or on all material?
Old 20th November 2012, 04:05 PM   #3
Danjo is offline Danjo  United States
diyAudio Member

I had a pair of the model 3s a long time ago. I upgraded initially to Magnepans and later to NHT 2.5i's. The 3's had great depth and imaging. However, they also had two shortcomings for me. The first was they were very big and not all that great looking. Really it was a rather imposing looking speaker. The second issue was base slam. Though the speakers could go deep, even with my 240 watt Bryston they didn't have the base sharpness I was interested in. Do note that I think one of the midrange or woofer surrounds was starting to come off the cone (I didn't have the confidence to just re-glue it at that time). That might have hurt the base slam. Either way I found the NHT's base was tighter and more controlled even if not quite as deep. I would be interested in hearing a pair of the later 3a signatures to see if they improve on those issues. Either way, if cosmetics aren't an issue they are a great speaker.
Old 20th November 2012, 04:11 PM   #4
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Relocated thread to multi-way since the thread is about a multi-way speaker system and not full range. (Full Range is reserved generally for single driver systems operating full range.. )
Old 20th November 2012, 04:13 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Well, seeing that you like the klipsch horn sound, I would suggest waiting for a pair of emerald physics cs2's on audiogon.
Old 20th November 2012, 04:14 PM   #6
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I have noticed that a lot of people with Vandersteens seem to be smitten with the upgrade bug on a regular basis, but I am not sure that this differs significantly from most other "mainstream" brands.
Old 20th November 2012, 05:27 PM   #7
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

The Vandersteen 2CE's are fine used classic hifi speaker.
Bought used you won't lose much if you upgrade.
Their USP is excellent time-coherence.

rgds, sreten.

Nothing wrong with buying any great classic speaker.
Though for this one I'd experiment with passive line
level tone shelving to bring up the bass end a bit.
Old 20th November 2012, 05:44 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bxboy3191
Default reply about h/t

To Chris B,I went out and got a Yamaha RXV-665 w/ 90w pc and w/ the Klipsch
smalls I thought this was all I would ever need. Now,movies are ok but I have heard much better effects from other avrs and some features are just a waste of time and $ like the hall, club, stadium effects which is nothing more than some delay and echo. My main complaint is when pushed the Yamaha clips. It shuts down and I know it's a built in protection circuit but I'm thinking 90 watts should shake my windows.Evidently not and while I called Klipsch they kinda laughed and said you can throw that whole avr at these smalls and nothing would happen.At 60 I don't blow the house out all that much but when I want to I should have the power and that's why I went to the Adcom.

Hide this!Advertise here!