Help with a 4-way filter PLEASE

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I`m on a new project... the following :

A speaker with 5 drivers in it.

1) 45 cm Phillips Low
2) 2 x 20 cm ??? Mid-Low
3) 1 Sony Mid
4) 1 BM High

I can`t find a schematic for a 4 way filter. I found a pair of speakers that uses 4 way speakers quadrall 400 ...but no info on them

How should I proceed???
Are 4 way filters possible?

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
if you haven't bought any drivers yet, think twice about it

if you already have the drivers, throw them together and try something
anything you can come up with might be as good as any other guessing
though, you might have more luck if you look at it like a 3way with sub
still 4way, but different, kind of

Hi,

I don't know where to start answering this question,
or how you expect someone to able to help you.

rgds, sreten.

I need some help on building the filter for the speaker. its a speaker that has 5 drivers, and I read ...or I have been told to go on a 4 way filter.

but I can`t find any data about a 4-way filter.

So ...the question is..can someone help me with a schematic or something for a 4 way speaker..

or should I go with a 3 way speaker....and go ahead and connecting the 3 low speakers toghether but in different cabinets?

I`m on a new project... the following :

A speaker with 5 drivers in it.
Typical way to build the speakers is to get measurement equpment and software and start you project with measuring each of your drivers in cabinet. Then you go to crossover modelling software, load measured drivers results and play with schematics to get flat response of the model. Then build prototype and measure real response of the speaker. If something wrong - rebuild crossover and measure and again and again. After - you start with listening tests of both speakers. If you do not like something - you rebuild crossover again and again... And many many iteraitions until you will be pleased with the results.

In two words - that it how it should be. ;)

Typical way to build the speakers is to get measurement equpment and software and start you project with measuring each of your drivers in cabinet. Then you go to crossover modelling software, load measured drivers results and play with schematics to get flat response of the model. Then build prototype and measure real response of the speaker. If something wrong - rebuild crossover and measure and again and again. After - you start with listening tests of both speakers. If you do not like something - you rebuild crossover again and again... And many many iteraitions until you will be pleased with the results.

In two words - that it how it should be. ;)

I don`t have that type of equipment, nor software....and I guess neither the know-how to use them.

The best thing I can do is get some sort of ideea about the drivers spec. and after that make a filter in the aproximate range of them.

I know its not very "smar" ...but as I said...don`t have the "toys" needed.

ok..so I`m going to listen to the advices given to me here and on other forums...

I`m going to go with the 2 in 1 "speakers boxes" . a 3-way speaker and a sub sealed off from the rest of the speaker box so its not to interfer with the 3-way one.

The 3-way speaker and sub will bouth have sep. amplification.

I believe that its the best way to go.

Thanks a lot.

I`m going to upload pictures I believe from the 10th of next mounth...PAY DAY and :hohoho: is comming.

First order..the bords for the speakers..that i`m going to install the speakers etc etc.

I`m going to be using a 5.1 receiver (onkyo tx-ds656).
For the moment thats what I have at home. Not the best choice I know..but i`m saving money for the upgrade.

I`m going to be using its FL FR and RL RR channels for the "4 amp" required for the speakers.

The singal will be stereo for all the 4 inputs. Just gonna puna a splitter and unite the FR - RR and RL-FL with the same signal.

A little question wich at the right time will be developted into a bigger subject...what amps are required for speakers like this?
Or should I be looking in the future for a pasive 3 way speaker and an active sub?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.