Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th November 2012, 04:15 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Wharfdale E70 rebuild

Hi, I'm an old audiophile wanna-be and have a pair of E70's that I bought way back in the early '80's. For those unfamiliar with these they have a 10" woofer, 2 x 4" mids, and a 4" horn tweeter. Nominal impedence is 8 ohm. They have crossover knobs on the front for both low and high that you can adjust as well. The woofer cones are toast, not sure about the rest.

I was thinking of buying one of the bookshelf speaker kits and a dt100-a amp so I can stream pandora through my iphone (or anything else for that matter), but then I got to thinking about maybe modernizing the E70's instead - i.e. keep the cabinet and replace the speakers with modern (hopefully better) versions.

Unfortunately I know nothing about this and am seeking advice. Is there some special magic about the coils being matched to their cross-over circuitry in some way? Or can I drop any 8 ohm speaker in there and it will work? As far as I can tell it's just two wires to connect, and I can handle a soldering iron.

I listen to just about any kind of music other than hip-hop/rap, including classical, metal, country, jazz, etc..

So I'm looking for advice:
What woofers?
What mids?
What tweeter?

Budget is $200-$400 per cabinet. I could get talked into more if it's a night and day difference, but I'm guessing that once you get above a certain price more money only buys marginal performance improvements.

Recommendations on an amp would be good too, with the dt100-a being what fits my needs in terms of functionality for now. They are going into a smallish room for now, so I don't need a lot of volume, but would like them to be able to do that in the future, if desired...

Thanks in advance for any help!!
Old 16th November 2012, 08:59 PM   #2
DrBoar is offline DrBoar  Sweden
diyAudio Member

The E70 had unusually high efficiency someting like the mid 90 dB or about 10dB more than many bextrene coned speakers of the time.So I would like to recreate it use more pro drivers more than classical hifi drivers. Eminence, Fane Beyma RCF and others makes those drivers.

Hide this!Advertise here!