wide band midrange

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would like to have your recomendations for a very wideband midrange, with cross over I like it to be used in the frequency range from about 200Hz to 6-9 KHz.
I prefer, paper, glasfiber and kevlar cones.
Also it have to make 92-93 db sensitivity for a 8 om driver.

I have looked at Audax PR170M0, many must have used that already, or some of the other 4-6" sensitive Audax drivers.
How does the Audax PR17 series sound unfiltered?, is it agressive, nasal or open with out hardneses, I hope for the last. the upper frequency response becomes a bit bumpy, but maybe it does not sound like it.

Better it is a bit dark sounding that screaming!

I always thought the current crop of super Full-rangers would make for outstanding mid-range drivers.
Consulting the specs, most all of them have a rather high Efficiency Bandwidth Product......putting them squarely in the Ported enclosure class.
That said...where would you put the port???
Would there be problems with two ports on the front of a baffle?......One for the woofer, the second for the mid-range.
I can imagine some interference/nulls/distortions with the two ports interacting.
With the hyper accuracy of these full-rangers...one could make a superior system......with the voicing of the Mids being the best possible.

_____________________________________________________Rick.......

I always thought the current crop of super Full-rangers would make for outstanding mid-range drivers.
Consulting the specs, most all of them have a rather high Efficiency Bandwidth Product......putting them squarely in the Ported enclosure class.
That said...where would you put the port???
Would there be problems with two ports on the front of a baffle?......One for the woofer, the second for the mid-range.
I can imagine some interference/nulls/distortions with the two ports interacting.
With the hyper accuracy of these full-rangers...one could make a superior system......with the voicing of the Mids being the best possible.

_____________________________________________________Rick.......

If he is looking at 200 Hz XO, why would he use a port? Sounds to me like sealed box is the way to go. Or is there something here that I don't know?

Cheers, Jim

The Audax unit works great ! You can even overload with tons of 100 Hz tones :D

On the other hand, looking at it (them),well...
If you find some information upon them, you'll find some french forum :p
where there's a schematic of a fairly simple crossover, which at the very
end works for me.
Also a very good application is to put it in series to Woofer and Tw- I used an Audax TW025A16, which is no good for this kind of series crossover, a single cap and a single coil, minimal -so a ferrofluid unit with 94 dB/W/m

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.