Recommendations for a TL kit/plans

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I'm trying to track down a proven transmission line floorstander design to attempt. Size (within reason) is not an issue, and I'm looking at at most $1500 for the drivers.

I'm looking for a proven design that I know will work well with a minimum of tweaking. I was looking at the Seas Thor, which seemed to fit the bill, but reading in a bit more depth, it sounds like there may be some issues with the design.

Any recommendations for either a well designed set of plans or a good commercial kit?

Thanks in advance :)

JD

Bingo! That's exactly the kind of project I've been looking for!
The cabinets look suitably challenging to build, and there's some scope for a bit of creative use of different timbers. Definitely not a short term project :)

I think I'll start pricing the materials tomorrow.

I ordered the ER version from them and the shipping was not bad. The hard part is getting the exact same crossover components as what is in the kit. I tried to source the parts for the PMS speakers and had a problem finding one of the coils. Ends up I have a relative that lives in Europe that was able to get it for me. Email them , I had them only quote the kit minus the drivers as I could get them here easly.

Last edited:
What changes were made to the Seas Thor? Are the new official designs based on the improvements? Where can I find the details? The Thor may still be in the running for the build.

I'm definitely not impugning the quality of the Dayton drivers. I've not heard them, but I have heard that they punch well above their weight for price. But if I'm going to be spending several months on building the cabinets, I don't mind paying more for drivers.

Ah! I did a TL to retain the 'flavor' of the original whereas ya'll opted for different size MLTLs, what I would have done if I'd wanted to build this kit.

I thought I read somewhere that Joe acknowledged intentionally under-sizing the TL, though don't recall what, if any, reason he gave.

GM

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I thought I read somewhere that Joe acknowledged intentionally under-sizing the TL, though don't recall what, if any, reason he gave.

He did because it was too big for his taste. He backed it up with a measurement. The measurement was made with one woofer driven, the other shorted. ie the measurementhe showed was for 1 driver in the TL.

dave

I thought I had found the ideal with the Jenzens. They certainly seem to fit the bill, and they're still in the lead at this early stage. But the Elsinore speaker looks like a serious contender, and the rejigged Thor looks very suitable too.

Another design that seems worthy of consideration is this one:
TQWT-

Spoiled for choice is what I am :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.