yet another idea

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok well I want to make a new set of speaker using 2 HI-VI M8N 8" ALUMINUM/MAGNESIUM WOOFER and one DAVIS 100CKW8DF 4" KEVLAR/CARBON MIDBASS and for the tweeter a TANG BAND 28-847SA SHIELDED NEODYMIUM DOME TWEETER all from parts express. Well anyways I just wanted to know some things I think im going to make the whole enclosure 45”Hx10”Wx14”D that is 3.64 Cu. Ft. I think this would be good but I don’t know give me input please and if not send me in the right direction with a good program to use. I also would like to know if I should use a port and if so how to make It correct size and length.
Then for the midbass I think I would put them inside there own enclosures inside the big box. So if you could please just let me know what you think and help me out I want to start these ASAP
Thanks much fellas

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
What do you know about crossover design?

A three way with those drivers is going to be very very difficult to make. For the most part, any three way is very difficult. If you have not done several XO's, or do not have any measurement and simulation software, then I would not attempt that.

PaulHilgeman said:
What do you know about crossover design?

Paul Hits the nail on the head, here.

The crossover is the heart of a 3 way. If you have three great drivers with wonderful enclosures that don't integrate well, you have a lot of money in parts and enclosures that is essentially down the drain.

good design will incorporate an appropriate crossover as part of the design process - and has a lot to do with the drivers selected.

good crossover design is very , very difficult to do successfully.

I suggest you go to Madisound, Parts Express, Zalytron or one of the other companies that offer a wide variety of excellent kits where the design is already debugged.

Or Bottlehead products, Pi Speakers, Welbourne Labs, etc.

You have a far, far greater chance of success and good sound that way than you do going from scratch.

Regards

Ken L

don't be discouraged hotcair456.with enough work and research you can build a 3way that your quite happy with and come out with a ton of knowledge in the end.they don't have to be pefect,just somethiong that you enjoy.plus theres lots of people on here thats willing to help you along.as for your box,if you tell me the size of the woofer chamber i could model it in bbpro for you

What Chainenoble said is very true. I just completed a 2way using RedBack 8" woofers, Vifa 19mm tweeters and pre-made crossovers (I know most will frown on that - I will make my own next time).

Apart from all this, I am very pleased with how they turned out (which thanks to the people on this forum, by the way) and I gained a LOT of knowledge from this pair. They cost under AUD$300 and they sound great (to me), better than anything commercial that I could afford anyway :)

That said, for a first try, I would advise trying a two way :)

Now I'm alredy trying to design my next set. The main decision to be made here being: towers with two or three 8" woofers (in the case of three, one would be a mid) or a massive 80's style 3way. I love those massive speakers, don't know why ;)

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Kits may not be "wholehearted" but serve a good purpose.

There are also some fine designs on the web that aren't kits, but have designed crossovers.

There is often a lot of discussion as to what is "real" DIY.
As Nelson Pass points out, if you really want to strictly DIY an amp you would need to melt the sand to make the silicon to make the transistors. I suppose some speaker makers would argue that you need to build your own drivers to be a "true" DIYer.

My suggestion is to get a design from one of the sites often mentioned on DIY Audio, and get the experience building a cabinet of the right size, wiring a crossover, and ending up with a speaker that sounds good. After that, then experiment with modifying the crossover and see if you can make it better.

Also, you could make the cabinet bigger than the design calls for and add some bricks inside to reduce the volume. By adding or removing bricks you could experiment with different box volumes.

If it is a vented design, use a straight piece of pipe for the vent and don't glue it in place. That way you can substitute longer or shorter vents to see what works best for you and your room. with different vent lengths. Sometimes its more encouraging for a beginner to be confident that the speakers will sound good when you are done.

Just different philosophies.. I'lll admit I had pretty good luck making a 2-way once using no published design, just with a textbook crossover which I modified until it sounded good.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.