infinity 6 kappas

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Free is a VERY good price!!
These are late eighties production when Infinity started "experimenting" with "Poly" domes (Polypropylene material). Just a few years earlier Infinity was deep into Giant systems, costing thousands of dollars with dozens of drivers. Midrange drivers then were mid-size to giant ribbon drivers...expensive, hard to build.....and very collectable now. The EMIT ribbon driver is legendary & is very much sought after.
Infinity was the biggest proponent of 'Poly' drivers....some had half a dozen in giant Woofer towers. Some of Infinity loudspeakers garnered a reputation for blowing up amps because the impedence values dipped way into the Two Ohm range...overheating & wrecking amps.
What you have here is a mid-size monitor style loudspeaker made by a company that once created magnificent examples of audio art.
Even if some of the drivers are out, you can find replacements all thru E-bay & elsewhere. The capacitors in the cross-overs are quite probably dried out & out-of-spec....replacing them with current "good stuff" would be wise.
If the cabinets aren't all banged up & the woofer surrounds aren't all ripped up.............you got a great deal.
Even if you had the woofer surrounds replaced, you'll still come out ahead.
Adding a single decent sub-woofer(You can DIY sub-woofers!!) will round out these Infinities.
Put the pair on some nice stands 3 ft high..........A 100-150 Watt amp plus the sub........you have a really nice system.........with a heritage & history.
***Look up "Bobby Shred" he has an Infinity enthusiast site**

_____________________________________________________Rick........

Last edited:
thanks a bunch rick. the surrounds on the subs (both speakers) are destroyed. along with the poly mids. one is still together but has that nasty yellow tint. the tweets sound amazing. i know a guy to replace the diaphrams on the mids and i will be doing the subs myself. i am restoring for resell or selling parted and putting the tweets in a build of my own. how much could i possibly get for all together and restored? plus were i found them, they had been kept indoors since apparently 93. no idea why they are as bad as they are but that is the run down on them. thanks.

ian

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.