diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Multi-Way (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/)
-   -   conect 5 pair of speakers with one amp to reproduce 3 audio sources at once (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/223587-conect-5-pair-speakers-one-amp-reproduce-3-audio-sources-once.html)

denialist 14th November 2012 07:18 PM

conect 5 pair of speakers with one amp to reproduce 3 audio sources at once

Hi all, sorry if i post in the wrong section, a bit new to this forum
i am trying to achieve the following - there is a restaurant witch have 5 different halls, and ideally there is a need to have cd playing in 2 of the halls, then an internet stream over the next 2 and lets say a radio in one, i cant seem to draw a picture in my head how to achieve that...using a mixer would not be a solution, i think, because once the faders go up (when i connect the 3 cables to the channels) the master will reproduce the 3 of them at once on the output, using 3 mixers? )))) please suggest a device that is capable to have a way around it,
cheers

Pano 14th November 2012 07:33 PM

Welcome to the forum. Until we can figure out a better place for this, it can stay here. :)

What you are talking about is called "Multi-zone." Search the web for that and you'll get a better idea of how it's done and what equipment is used. There is even multi-zone for home use, tho I don't remember seeing 5 zones.

You are correct that a mixer is not normally the way to do this, but it can be used as many mixers have more than one set of outputs. They may have Main, Aux and Sub Groups that you can assign different thing to. Making this easy for someone to run isn't obvious, tho! I'm sure some forum members will jump in with help.

firechief 14th November 2012 07:39 PM

With 3 different sources playing at the same time you will need an amplifier for each source. How many speakers in each room. Do you want the flexablility of being able to change which source goe's to what room, or will it be fixed?

denialist 14th November 2012 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firechief (Post 3241743)
With 3 different sources playing at the same time you will need an amplifier for each source. How many speakers in each room. Do you want the flexablility of being able to change which source goe's to what room, or will it be fixed?

2 speakers in each room - its actually 6 rooms, but for the moment it ll be 5 rooms and 2 speakers in each one - and initially it will be fixed - for ex. room 1 and 2 - cd, room 3,4 - internet stream and 5 - radio

how would u connect them with and amp for each one?

thanks for the quick reply

east electronics 14th November 2012 08:36 PM

There is two very basic questions before selecting method /parts/configuration

the 1 is to tell if there is any wiring done so far and the second will be if its mandatory except changing sources to be able o adjust volume for each room separately.

the best option will be to get a ""100V zone amplifier """ preferably with 4 zones drive simple cat 5 cables from ""control"" area to 4 of these zones / subareas and there you will be able to select from 4 different sources and adjust the volume locally .

Kind regards
sakis

firechief 14th November 2012 08:46 PM

I asume that the wiring is already installed if so,how long are the wire runs? It is likely that you will need the kind of set up that Sakis is suggesting. Take a run at drawing a diagram. This kind of planning will help us help you. You could even draw it on paper and scan it to a PDF document to post here. Include information such as blocks for the sources , speakers, ect.

sofaspud 15th November 2012 10:52 AM

Parts Express #301-108 is a 6-source 6-zone stereo system (expandable).
Or their #300-610 could be used with separate amps.