Small Thor -Reloaded -First build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thank you both again

I feel a little like a Stranger in a Strange land. Have not heard the word grokked in a while

Ron my ears are crappy too. I will probably need to put the new crossover in the right speaker and leave the old one in the left to compensate. : (

Unless I am completely missing the point it seems in reading that the plywood raises the resonances and mdf lowers it. will using a 3/4 mdf front baffle backed up with 5/8 plywood negate the effect of the rest of the speaker being built out of plywood? I am sure you can get good results with ply and good results with mdf. It would be just my luck that using both will turn these into Bose.

thanks again

Ben

GM,
Cut list is a great program, nice tip.

Grokked? Hum, must be a Canadian thing, not a clue.......
Front baffle with both sounds like a good idea. No problems there as long as you relieve some of the backside for reverse pressure from the movement of the cone..
Don't over think this.
Ron

Attachments

• baffle route.jpg
    baffle route.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 358
GM, Thanks for the cut list it looks like a great program and timely as I am buying more materials monday.

Ron, I do have to stop overthinking it I just want to build the best speakers I can. This hobby is addictive. I am not normally this obsessive but for some reason I am spending way too much time on this.

Robert Heinleins is a science fiction author as wrote Starship Troops. Stanger in a Strange land was his best IMHO.

Fitting on a couple of fronts as we are transplants from the US.

thanks again all

Ben

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Dave what did you mean on the drawing note 6 that diagonal is even better?

If you can run the braces at a bit of an angle to produce trapezoidal subpanels instead of rectangles.

The port in the drawing is at the very bottom of the cabinet in reading many have put the port up 4.5" from the bottom does it matter and which was Scottmoose's intention?

Makes little difference. Bottom firing allows some external tuning by changing height off the floor.

dave

Hello Dave I hate to bother you with this but is the drawing you made of the small thor on April 27 2006 the latest addition I have cut all of the panels but I just want to make sure I am using the correct drawing for some reason I laid out the drivers starting at 36" instead of 36 3/4" from the base. I have not cut them yet so just a little pencil work but it got me to thinking about revisions to the drawing. Thanks again for all your help

Ben

Ok here are some pics dont laugh too hard.
It looks like 35 holes 2 1/4" is 38.6%
I am assuming the speaker should be built mirror image.
pics not in order
speaker 1 holey brace first to get attached to to the side
The speaker parts in the box
Mirror image i hope :confused: got a headache trying to do the first mirror of the second

Drivers for one speaker finally got here!!:)
Customs nailed me for $64.00 :mad: the other box is on its way but at least it does not look like anything is damaged.

Attachments

• P1010014.JPG
    P1010014.JPG
    579.1 KB · Views: 279
  • P1010013.JPG
    P1010013.JPG
    590.5 KB · Views: 267
  • P1010007.JPG
    P1010007.JPG
    608.3 KB · Views: 267
This project is happening on both floors of the house and the garage. its taken over;)
not sure about the white dots on the tweeter? :confused:
nice wire on the cross over sure wish there was more of it:(

I had a bad woofer in the 802s I owned ( that these are replacing) and that speaker was 1/2 the weight of these.;)

can you tell I figured out the smiles

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.