Small Thor -Reloaded -First build - Page 7 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd November 2012, 10:05 PM   #61
diyAudio Member

They were packed in the box without individual boxes. they were not individually boxed the tweeter had a box but the woofers were wrapped in packing material. the box is not ripped but still looks like it was dragged a good distance. I had a driver repaired once and was told to put cardboard on the cone side and shrink wrap it with plastic wrap that seemed to work well I should have said something to the seller.

Maybe I can have it repaired. I think I would like to keep the seas surround instead of the 10.00 surrounds on ebay a little disappointing. Will always wonder too.

I am going to buy the wire. I hope that is the right decision.

Thanks All
Old 22nd November 2012, 10:43 PM   #62
diyAudio Member

I am not sure about the wire am I making the correct decision? I always thought the thicker the wire the better. It is just a matter of being more difficult to work with. I admit I am totally dumb on the subject but I am getting the wire for 1.00 a foot.
Old 22nd November 2012, 10:49 PM   #63
diyAudio Member

What is really scary is the box with the other drivers is MIA. Cant wait to see what those look like.
Old 22nd November 2012, 10:56 PM   #64
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ntractor View Post
They were packed in the box without individual boxes. they were not individually boxed the tweeter had a box but the woofers were wrapped in packing material. the box is not ripped but still looks like it was dragged a good distance. I had a driver repaired once and was told to put cardboard on the cone side and shrink wrap it with plastic wrap that seemed to work well I should have said something to the seller.

Maybe I can have it repaired. I think I would like to keep the seas surround instead of the 10.00 surrounds on ebay a little disappointing. Will always wonder too.
There would be no point without getting factory surrounds... it may require a complete new driver when the time comes that you'd like to go beyond the band-aided driver.

When packing drivers like this with an outie surround and a bezel that exposes them, they need to be held off from touching anything. If they came packed as i imagine from your description, the seller is responsible for the damage and i'd be asking for compensation.

dave
Old 23rd November 2012, 02:52 AM   #65
Renron is offline Renron  United States
diyAudio Member

Dave,
Thanks for watching this thread so closely. I am always learning something when I participate in these threads.
Back to the wire type, without being theoretical, unobtainium aside, what do you recommend for Amp to XO and XO to speaker box. How about inside the Box too?
Thanks,
Ron

Too bad about the torn driver, time to call the seller. Also contact Seas of Norway and ask them for assistance. Ya never know........! keep us informed.
Old 23rd November 2012, 03:56 AM   #66
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renron View Post
I am always learning something when I participate in these threads.
Here are some pictures to help. Packing Speakers

Go to the alternate method (ignore the alnico bits). Before you would wrap these up you would install the factory spacers (or the busted off golf tees) into the bolt holes to keep the surround off the cardboard wrap.

dave
Old 23rd November 2012, 04:01 PM   #67
diyAudio Member

Thanks I have sent Solen an email to see if I can get OE replacement surrounds. They are saying that replacement surrounds are not available.

The second box of speakers finally arrived and I dont want to nit pic there is a small partial tear next to the mounting hole it does not go thru the surround just a small scratch I would imagine that the very slight damage will not hurt anything and I do not want to bother the seller if it is not going to hurt anything. Thanks for your input.
Old 23rd November 2012, 08:49 PM   #68
diyAudio Member

Is there anyway to test the speakers to make sure they work?
Old 23rd November 2012, 11:28 PM   #69
Renron is offline Renron  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Is there anyway to test the speakers to make sure they work?
Yeah, plug 'em in. They'll sound like crap, don't crank the power, but they'll make noise and tell you if they buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Old 23rd November 2012, 11:50 PM   #70
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Thanks I have sent Solen an email to see if I can get OE replacement surrounds. They are saying that replacement surrounds are not available.
Contact SEAS directly.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!