Some Ambiguities, Zaph ZRT - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th November 2012, 09:31 AM   #11
Juhazi is offline Juhazi  Finland
diyAudio Member

.5 woofer works just fine in same chamber as major. I have read an article about experiments of this, perhaps it was Zaph himself? Two-in-one may actually help to kill standing waves in the box, that happens in rooms with two subs!
AES Associate Member / My DIY speaker history: -74 Philips 3-way, -82 Hifi 85B, -07 Zaph L18, XLS10+PR/Hypex, -08 CSS125FR, -08 Hifitalo AW-7, -08 TangBand FR, -09 MarkK ER18DXT, -13 PPSL470, -13 AINOgradient
Old 15th November 2012, 02:44 PM   #12
Juhazi is offline Juhazi  Finland
diyAudio Member

Yes it's Zaph, here's the link
Zaph|Audio
AES Associate Member / My DIY speaker history: -74 Philips 3-way, -82 Hifi 85B, -07 Zaph L18, XLS10+PR/Hypex, -08 CSS125FR, -08 Hifitalo AW-7, -08 TangBand FR, -09 MarkK ER18DXT, -13 PPSL470, -13 AINOgradient
Old 15th November 2012, 03:05 PM   #13
Creddy is offline Creddy  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juhazi View Post
.5 woofer works just fine in same chamber as major. I have read an article about experiments of this, perhaps it was Zaph himself? Two-in-one may actually help to kill standing waves in the box, that happens in rooms with two subs!
Alright, sounds good in that matter : ) i have read some at troelsgravesen.dk
that the volume important for the interpretation of the sound, larger chamber
gives a more "muddier" sound and smaller more "tight".

As is have said earlier
I think that it can have negative effect to the sound, because when
the .5 woofer are not “playing”, the other woofer is “playing” in a twice as big
chamber that it is designed for. And therefore maybe making it more
muddier sounding, i want the sound to be fast and tight. ;D

The question is if the muddy/tight phenomenon is showing in measuring-graphs and calculations?

Thanks xjr100 and giralfino for the crossover tips, I'm really grateful for the help!
Old 15th November 2012, 05:13 PM   #14
xjr100 is offline xjr100  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjr100 View Post
L2, 0.25mH 0.15Ohm
You can use CFC16-0,27, it is 0.16Ohm - it will add about +0.3db in area at 1.5 to 2.5db, what I think is not bad
Some typing mistakes here: meant +0.3dB in 1.5 to 2.5kHz

You can get some crossover design tool and play there with schematics and filter gain and see what the changes could be if you change the values. But changes on the graph is only part - another very importnat part is how it plays. Basically there some guides what resulting response should be (very typical is 20-20K +-3dB), but depending on what components you use (caps, coils, drivers), those "+" and "-" must be in different places according to listening tests.
Old 15th November 2012, 05:38 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creddy View Post
I think that it can have negative effect to the sound, because whenthe .5 woofer are not “playing”, the other woofer is “playing” in a twice as bigchamber that it is designed for. And therefore maybe making it more
muddier sounding, i want the sound to be fast and tight. ;D
As I posted with the response plots above, there is no point at which one woofer is "playing" and the other is not.
Old 15th November 2012, 06:14 PM   #16
Creddy is offline Creddy  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumptruck View Post
As I posted with the response plots above, there is no point at which one woofer is "playing" and the other is not.
Yeah true, it never stops playing(thought that it was a much steeper roll off on the .5 woofer)

but at around 600 hz there is about 8 dB difference between the woofers,
so the main woofer will loose pressure and act like it will play in a bigger chamber?

Do you think it is audible?

Great if not, then it will be a bit easier to build ;D

Hide this!Advertise here!