diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Multi-Way (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/)
-   -   Why no DIY Tektons/10in. 2ways? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/223463-why-no-diy-tektons-10in-2ways.html)

wushuliu 13th November 2012 02:21 AM

Why no DIY Tektons/10in. 2ways?

1 Attachment(s)
Tekton speakers have been taking off the past 2 years and are getting more and more acclaim; yet from what I've read and seen they are ultimately (well-designed) 8 to 10in. 2ways. Searching the forum I see very little mention about them and even less discussion on 10in 2ways with dome tweeters. Why so little interest? Seems like a great compromise for low watt amp freaks and those not really interested in pure full range.

wushuliu 13th November 2012 07:32 AM

Well, guess that answers that.

a_tewinkel 13th November 2012 08:53 AM

The dispersion characteristics will be rubbish with such a design, especially since a 22 mm tweeter is used. Crossover is probably 2500 Hz or higher, which is at least about an octave too high for a 10" unit.

All sorts of speakers get good reviews by the way. In this case the fancy Excel woofer probably helps.

dumptruck 13th November 2012 02:47 PM

I think a CD waveguide really makes more sense for a 10" 2-way, if you're not bound by a "NO HORNS" sales pitch.

von Ah 13th November 2012 03:32 PM

The Econowave approach certainly has a great following, with many using 10" woofers and 1" compression drivers crossed ~ 1.6 kHz. I really like the pair I put together 3 years ago. Maybe horn-loaded domes could get a similarly lower crossover point... :confused:

dumptruck 13th November 2012 03:43 PM

~1.6kHz is for matching a 90 waveguide to a 12". A 10" would be a little higher at 90.

von Ah 13th November 2012 03:56 PM

I forgot the details, it's been so long... 1.6k just stuck in my head. Also I don't remember if that's acoustic/electric... :D Regardless, I do know it was designed specifically for the Selenium D220ti and a particular waveguide.

wushuliu 13th November 2012 04:27 PM

I am not talking about Econowaves though, I am talking about designs like Tekton's... at any rate it's clear it's something that just hasn't been tried here or heard really (only took 2 posts before thread derailed into CD...) so I'll take my inquiries elsewhere.

dumptruck 13th November 2012 04:34 PM

If you want to try it, the parts cost isn't bad and it would be easy to turn into something else if you didn't like it. You'd need measurements and simulation to do the required woofer wrangling, unless you're some kind of wizard ;). They might be mass-loading some of those woofers, as well.

wushuliu 13th November 2012 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dumptruck (Post 3240166)
If you want to try it, the parts cost isn't bad and it would be easy to turn into something else if you didn't like it. You'd need measurements and simulation to do the required woofer wrangling, unless you're some kind of wizard ;). They might be mass-loading some of those woofers, as well.

Yeah it's something I'll pursue down the road. Just wanted to see if there was any previous feedback.