Why no DIY Tektons/10in. 2ways?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Tekton speakers have been taking off the past 2 years and are getting more and more acclaim; yet from what I've read and seen they are ultimately (well-designed) 8 to 10in. 2ways. Searching the forum I see very little mention about them and even less discussion on 10in 2ways with dome tweeters. Why so little interest? Seems like a great compromise for low watt amp freaks and those not really interested in pure full range.

Attachments

• seas-lore2.jpg
    seas-lore2.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 291
Last edited:
The dispersion characteristics will be rubbish with such a design, especially since a 22 mm tweeter is used. Crossover is probably 2500 Hz or higher, which is at least about an octave too high for a 10" unit.

All sorts of speakers get good reviews by the way. In this case the fancy Excel woofer probably helps.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
The Econowave approach certainly has a great following, with many using 10" woofers and 1" compression drivers crossed ~ 1.6 kHz. I really like the pair I put together 3 years ago. Maybe horn-loaded domes could get a similarly lower crossover point... :confused:

Joined 2008
Paid Member
I forgot the details, it's been so long... 1.6k just stuck in my head. Also I don't remember if that's acoustic/electric... :D Regardless, I do know it was designed specifically for the Selenium D220ti and a particular waveguide.

Last edited:
I am not talking about Econowaves though, I am talking about designs like Tekton's... at any rate it's clear it's something that just hasn't been tried here or heard really (only took 2 posts before thread derailed into CD...) so I'll take my inquiries elsewhere.

If you want to try it, the parts cost isn't bad and it would be easy to turn into something else if you didn't like it. You'd need measurements and simulation to do the required woofer wrangling, unless you're some kind of wizard ;). They might be mass-loading some of those woofers, as well.

If you want to try it, the parts cost isn't bad and it would be easy to turn into something else if you didn't like it. You'd need measurements and simulation to do the required woofer wrangling, unless you're some kind of wizard ;). They might be mass-loading some of those woofers, as well.

Yeah it's something I'll pursue down the road. Just wanted to see if there was any previous feedback.

I have at stable use a speaker with a 10" and a very little fullrange 2" with
7" waveguide ( ex-speaker ). The FR is very similar to the concave Tang Band,
it's made by Monacor .
The simple series crossover helps in stopping the woofer emitting from 1000 Hz
and the FR from not going over excursion :p

Tekton speakers have been taking off the past 2 years and are getting more and more acclaim; yet from what I've read and seen they are ultimately (well-designed) 8 to 10in. 2ways. Searching the forum I see very little mention about them and even less discussion on 10in 2ways with dome tweeters. Why so little interest? Seems like a great compromise for low watt amp freaks and those not really interested in pure full range.

A great compromise, unless one cares about how the music sounds.

Then it's just compromised.

I use a Monacor SPX-20 , similar to the TB W2-784 SG, although the first choice was a phase plug equipped one such as the TB W2-803 because of the wave guide I intended to use to have some sensitivity gain at the crossover region...but the bumped surround introduces some irregularities .
So ,Monacor SPX-20 !

I am not talking about Econowaves though, I am talking about designs like Tekton's... at any rate it's clear it's something that just hasn't been tried here or heard really (only took 2 posts before thread derailed into CD...) so I'll take my inquiries elsewhere.

I designed these before I heard about the Tektons.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/23208-system-pictures-description-203.html

Eminence 10" pro woofer, Ciare horn tweeter.

Excellent loudspeaker, precisely balanced. High sensitivity, 96 - 97dB.

I posted the design, but not much interest. Hearing would be believing though.

Which Eminence are you using? Just curious as I recently made some 12" and horn foldback boxes for my Son's band and was a bit shocked at how good they sounded.

Would be interested to try a high sensitivity 10" and horn, and Eminence drivers are available at reasonable prices here in OZ.

Regards,
blakktie

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I use a pair of Zu Essence speakers. These 10 inch full ranger/ribbon tweeter speakers have been out for several years, and build somewhat on the Zu Druids, which have been around for a long time.

This configuration, done sans crossover, has been around for a long time. Many, very differing opinions on how they sound.

Guess I am about as old as the folks that voiced them as they sound pretty good to me, and work well with my tubed PP amps. Looking to make a 300b amp and try the SET route next.

If I do anything different with speakers, it will be a GPA 604 based coax speaker.

some of tekton speakers dont even have a crossover. with standard eminence alpha or beta. i remember one with a 10" beta wizzercone, the dome tweeter was even smaller than a 1" from what i could see. a_tewinkel has a point :)

But not all of the Tektons are like that. I have read that the Lores have lower crossover and the one pictured in my first post has to have a low xo as well.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.