New Linkwitz "LX521" speakers.. - Page 9 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th November 2012, 05:34 PM   #81
diyAudio Member

No one is saying that it's that's simple, that's what tone controls are for. But if the recording/mastering/mixing has been done well, then you shouldn't need to touch them, providing your loudspeakers don't have any inherent flaws.
Old 14th November 2012, 05:39 PM   #82
dewardh is offline dewardh  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th element View Post
No one is saying that it's that's simple, that's what tone controls are for. But if the recording/mastering/mixing has been done well, then you shouldn't need to touch them,
Arguably true, if your speakers at home already have the necessary correction/equalization built in . . .

Which still doesn't address the inherent problems of microphone placement and subsequent mixing.
Old 14th November 2012, 05:44 PM   #83
diyAudio Member

The problems with non-flat-frequency-response monitors is self-perpetuating.

Most active monitors are active, and have various tone controls.

What better way to set them up than to play some music (mastered on monitors that may or may not have been flat).
Oh look, they sound harsh and forward (previous monitors weren't flat), so lets turn the treble down.
Now our monitors aren't flat either, but we'll master tracks according to them, as they sounded flat with other material played through them.

I found this when setting up some Behringer B2030As. Measurements were enclosed, and showed a flat response from ~50Hz to ~18kHz.
Played some music, and (even after breaking in the drivers) had to back the treble off as far as it'd go (-4dB IIRC) to get a balanced sound.

My hypothesis is that, each time we get some new studio monitors, they're set up to emulate the previous generation.
Breaking free of this would be difficult.

Chris
Old 14th November 2012, 05:52 PM   #84
Toaster is offline Toaster  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewardh View Post
Which still doesn't address the inherent problems of microphone placement and subsequent mixing.
A solution to recording technique errors can't be built into the speaker design because departures at the recording stage from some imaginary or defined ideal will vary from recording to recording. One thing that can be done is to reduce variations in the power response of the speaker to limit additional errors. In practice the effectiveness of this will depend on room acoustics. After that, as 5th says, it's on to tone controls/ EQ. John was clearly ahead of the game with the Notes- at least in terms of dipole speakers. Earl Geddes was there with boxed speakers before that. That SL has joined the party is not a criticism, it's just chronology. These are all very bright guys and very capable designers- approaches taken are converging because the approach makes sense.
Old 14th November 2012, 05:56 PM   #85
puppet is offline puppet  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris661 View Post
I found this when setting up some Behringer B2030As. Measurements were enclosed, and showed a flat response from ~50Hz to ~18kHz.
Played some music, and (even after breaking in the drivers) had to back the treble off as far as it'd go (-4dB IIRC) to get a balanced sound.

Chris
Chris .. I have to ask why one would do that? If the monitors playback is indeed flat ... and they are being used to master a recording ... what need/gain is there to compare their output using "commercial" recordings? They are a tool that isn't being used for it's designed intent. I'd think that if they're to be used in a mastering environment .. they should be set up for flat response and not touched, period.

Looking at it another way .. what's mastered on those monitors, as set-up now, will be 4dB too hot ... right?

Last edited by puppet; 14th November 2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old 14th November 2012, 06:29 PM   #86
dewardh is offline dewardh  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris661 View Post
Yep . . . have the same speakers, hear the same thing (including with direct feed from the microphones). They sound much more "natural" with the treble cut . . .
Old 14th November 2012, 06:49 PM   #87
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppet View Post
Chris .. I have to ask why one would do that? If the monitors playback is indeed flat ... and they are being used to master a recording ... what need/gain is there to compare their output using "commercial" recordings? They are a tool that isn't being used for it's designed intent. I'd think that if they're to be used in a mastering environment .. they should be set up for flat response and not touched, period.

Looking at it another way .. what's mastered on those monitors, as set-up now, will be 4dB too hot ... right?
They've been pressed into use as telly speakers, with a passive volume control and switch box - it was those, or go for the full 5.1 AV receiver, play around with upscaling/downscaling images - the telly is not HD, as we found the scaling adversely affect the image, and not in a small way.
All in all, easier to get some decent active speakers and have done with it.

I put some music through them (this, amongst others), and found them unlistenable without dropping the treble.

My point is that, somewhere way back, the monitors were ~4dB not-bright-enough.
Everyone has now calibrated their playback systems (and thus recording) to that.

Chris
Old 14th November 2012, 07:09 PM   #88
lolo is offline lolo  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toaster View Post
John was clearly ahead of the game with the Notes- at least in terms of dipole speakers. Earl Geddes was there with boxed speakers before that. That SL has joined the party is not a criticism, it's just chronology. These are all very bright guys and very capable designers- approaches taken are converging because the approach makes sense.
if you are talking about CD only, maybe yes. Otherwise SL has played with various unpublished designs a while before that, the L-07 had rear tweeters and small mids to keep a good directivity back in the 80'.
The Audio Artistry line was dipole only til 1.5k, that was..15 years ago.
Old 14th November 2012, 09:06 PM   #89
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolo View Post
there is now enough scientific evidence that lateral reflexions are actually good, as long as they are spectrally close to the direct sound, which rules out 99% box speakers.
check this for example:

White Papers - Sausalito Audio

Dipoles do image very well because they have a stronger D/R ratio (3 over 1) and potentially better CD than standard speakers.
How would you compare dipoles to bipoles as regards imaging vs ambience ?

From my own experiments comparing monopole-dipole-bipole, I have observed that dipole sounds more pinpoint than a bipole and less than monopole. However, very strangely, dipole sounds more ambient than both bipole and monopole and perhaps more "natural' if I may say.

The only way I could explain to myself about the more naturalness of the dipole compared to the bipole, is that the sideward cancellation of the dipole prevents early reflections from sidewalls but still allows the late rear wall reflections to add to the ambience effect. OTOH, the bipole too has the rear wall reflections, but the sidewall reflections smears the direct sound also, thus reducing spatial localisation.

Despite the good qualities of the dipole mentioned above, I find that it still cannot rival an omnipolar radiation from a pipe mounted 2" FR like in the Pluto. A spherical wavefront can play a unique trick on the human brain..it just can't localise the source, just the direction of sound source remains known !! almost surreal

Last edited by soundaatma; 14th November 2012 at 09:17 PM.
Old 14th November 2012, 09:30 PM   #90
diyAudio Member

Look, my point was that the direct sound should not be altered from the mix. This can only happen if the monitors and home system have the same axial response. It's not wrong in theory or practice. If they speaker have different direct response then the home system needs to be corrected to match the monitors. You may not like what the recording engineer did, but that isn't the point. The rest is the reverberant contribution and that is a matter of polar response and room acoustics, and the associated room delays, etc. The idea that shelving down the top end if the correct thing to do for every recording in every room is nonsense.

If the idea is correct, then it should be applied at the mixing level and embedded int he recording.

As an analogy, it's like looking at a paint. Regardless of the room in which the painting is hung, regardless of the color of the back ground, the colors of the painting don't change. But the perception of the painting can change due to the way light is reflected off wall, etc. So if an artist paints a painting in a studio with white walls does that mean we have to change the color of the painting if it is hung in a room with blue or yellow walls?

I spend enough time on this when it was first proposed it. It's not worth rehashing again.

Hide this!Advertise here!