New Linkwitz "LX521" speakers.. - Page 46 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th December 2012, 09:38 PM   #451
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fas42 View Post
Yes, the last I saw on it was at What's Best Forum (WBF Forum), amirm there has very close contact with Harman, and he spells out the story in at least one of the threads ...

Frank
Got a specific link to one of his posts?
Old 7th December 2012, 09:53 PM   #452
fas42 is online now fas42  Australia
diyAudio Member

Had a quick look, and this is the key post: Latest news on Lexicon MP-20 Processor - Page 10

Frank
Old 7th December 2012, 10:15 PM   #453
Banned

Thanks.
Old 6th January 2013, 04:07 AM   #454
slomatt is offline slomatt  United States
diyAudio Member

I've been working on a LX521 related project and have done a writeup if anybody is interested.

CSS EL70 LX521 FAST (or something like that)
Old 6th January 2013, 11:57 AM   #455
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slomatt View Post
I've been working on a LX521 related project and have done a writeup if anybody is interested.

CSS EL70 LX521 FAST (or something like that)
It's baffle design is rather different from the LX521, so it's not really related I think? Nevertheless seems like a fun project
Old 6th January 2013, 03:26 PM   #456
dewardh is offline dewardh  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_tewinkel View Post
It's baffle design is rather different from the LX521, so it's not really related I think?
Remotely related at best. It's closer to ORION (the original, without rear tweeter). It pretty much misses (fails even to try for) almost all the LX521 design objectives ("full range dipole" not least of them).

It's a looooooooong way from OB "driver on a plank" to LX521 . . .
Old 6th January 2013, 07:19 PM   #457
diyAudio Member

I'm not convinced that wideband dipole is optimal. I suspect that imaging would be significantly improved if the frequency range of about 1kHZ to 7kHZ is not dipole. This is because of how the ear-brain mechanism decodes image location. In that region of frequency, we sense image location primarily be amplitude comparisons. If that region of frequency is dipole, you've brought into the mix complex comb filter effects from room acoustics. More complex and blurring than with monopole. Am I wrong?
Old 6th January 2013, 07:33 PM   #458
Rudolf is offline Rudolf  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
If that region of frequency is dipole, you've brought into the mix complex comb filter effects from room acoustics. More complex and blurring than with monopole. Am I wrong?
It depends With monopoles comb filter problems are mainly possible from side walls and ceiling, with dipoles the front wall will be the main culprit. The placement of speakers and listening position in your room will decide, which kind of problem you can solve easier.

Rudolf
Old 7th January 2013, 02:20 AM   #459
diyAudio Member

Quote:
..... frequency range of about 1kHZ to 7kHZ is not dipole......
In many OB designs the tweeter is just a single dome ( no rear dome). So I guess most OB's being built almost meet this criteria (?) Crossing over around 1.5 to 2.5 Khz.
Old 7th January 2013, 07:42 AM   #460
lolo is offline lolo  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I'm not convinced that wideband dipole is optimal. I suspect that imaging would be significantly improved if the frequency range of about 1kHZ to 7kHZ is not dipole. This is because of how the ear-brain mechanism decodes image location. In that region of frequency, we sense image location primarily be amplitude comparisons. If that region of frequency is dipole, you've brought into the mix complex comb filter effects from room acoustics. More complex and blurring than with monopole. Am I wrong?
depends on the room. large ones that allow for a larger ITD gap will for sure be better in that respect, and dipoles have a stronger D/R ratio than monopoles, so.. you might well not loose as much as you think.
also remember the rear wave cannot really be used "as such", it has to be diffracted or absorbed.

Hide this!Advertise here!