New Linkwitz "LX521" speakers.. - Page 41 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th December 2012, 06:18 PM   #401
dewardh is offline dewardh  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus76 View Post
but they also sound like this:
That's exactly what we want . . . for the loudspeaker to disappear . . .
Old 6th December 2012, 06:19 PM   #402
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewardh View Post
Where do you get "very early, very loud" ? ? ?

If the single "between the speakers" specular reflection is diffused or absorbed then the reflections are twice reflected, multidirectional and delayed by at least 15-20 milliseconds . . . and individual reflections are generally 10-12 dB down, often more. The resulting diffuse sound field is much more satisfying than multi-channel synthetic reverb from a couple more point source speakers.
Care to share a typical dipole ETC?
Old 6th December 2012, 06:21 PM   #403
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewardh View Post
That's exactly what we want . . . for the loudspeaker to disappear . . .
I meant "blurry", no clarity. Low level details get lost. Which is exactly what a concert hall does but do you really want to hear each and every recording "concert hall style"?
Old 6th December 2012, 06:21 PM   #404
6.283 is offline 6.283  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I don't. I consider both inferior
Which omni and dipole designs have you auditioned, properly setup, at the right listening distance in a suitable room to justify your statements ?
Old 6th December 2012, 06:26 PM   #405
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.283 View Post
Which omni and dipole designs have you auditioned, properly setup, at the right listening distance in a suitable room to justify your statements ?
Orion What is a suitable room and what setup is best? When I read through the posts of most omni/dipole proponents here, completely opposite setup recommendations can be found.
Old 6th December 2012, 06:30 PM   #406
diyAudio Member

I felt inclined to play around with a simple low SPL (mean 75 dB) nude dipole. I attached the nice 3" Vifa full range to 10" woofers and cross electronically around 500 Hz. I wanted to see how they differ from omni.

One thing that bothers me about these types of speakers (omni, dipole) and their need to be away from walls, is that they force you into the near field where the problems with stereo are accentuated. Small physical movements become large w.r.t. the stereo triangle.

I really think it's better to get the speaker as far away as possible, if one wants to give stereo a chance.
Old 6th December 2012, 06:36 PM   #407
Banned

Talking about MBL - is this the best way to place an omni?

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 6th December 2012, 06:51 PM   #408
puppet is offline puppet  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEdwards View Post
I felt inclined to play around with a simple low SPL (mean 75 dB) nude dipole. I attached the nice 3" Vifa full range to 10" woofers and cross electronically around 500 Hz. I wanted to see how they differ from omni.

One thing that bothers me about these types of speakers (omni, dipole) and their need to be away from walls, is that they force you into the near field where the problems with stereo are accentuated. Small physical movements become large w.r.t. the stereo triangle.

I really think it's better to get the speaker as far away as possible, if one wants to give stereo a chance.
I'm not so sure the traditional stereo triangle is an optimal layout for dipoles. I prefer a setup that puts the speaker(s) an equal distance to the listener (slightly off axis to the listener) ... and almost twice that between the L/R channels. So, a triangle with a much wider base. The sound stage seems to be broader.
Old 6th December 2012, 06:58 PM   #409
dewardh is offline dewardh  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I meant "blurry", no clarity. Low level details get lost.
Not true at all.
Old 6th December 2012, 07:07 PM   #410
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundaatma View Post
A 2" FR lacks the surface area for the needed low end boost in a dipole, unless you have about 20 drivers on a side which will wosen comb filtering paticularly if not being low passed at 6-7 khz.
Well, its surely better than a 1" dome...no?
It would also be open backed, so no need for 2.
I'm sure a 2" could be crossed at 3kHz rather than 7kHz for better vertical polar response?

Hide this!Advertise here!