New Linkwitz "LX521" speakers.. - Page 40 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th December 2012, 04:11 PM   #391
dewardh is offline dewardh  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus76 View Post
Each time I'm trying to answer that question I do not see
That's a "blind spot" of your own making . . .
Old 6th December 2012, 04:13 PM   #392
Banned

Not really... Why does someone like StigErik treat his room the way he did? He doesn't like "realism"?

Last edited by markus76; 6th December 2012 at 04:15 PM.
Old 6th December 2012, 04:27 PM   #393
diyAudio Member

For Bob Richards: Have you ever heard the "spoken word" recording "I am sitting in a room"?
I Am Sitting in a Room - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
We "studied" this in a college class (Electronic Music) and it illustrates the increasing room resonances as each generation of recording is repeated. You don't have to listen to the whole thing
Old 6th December 2012, 04:31 PM   #394
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Why does someone like StigErik treat his room the way he did?
I did that too, back when I had Maggies with the "true ribbon" tweeter . . . they were just too bright otherwise. But there are better ways to address the negative effects of excessive high frequency reflections without losing the benefits of reflection in the mids . . .
Old 6th December 2012, 04:38 PM   #395
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodpecker View Post
How about using the small midrange driver in the high freq. range, eliminating the need for tweeters, similar as in SL's Plutos?
A 2" FR lacks the surface area for the needed low end boost in a dipole, unless you have about 20 drivers on a side which will wosen comb filtering paticularly if not being low passed at 6-7 khz.

Last edited by soundaatma; 6th December 2012 at 04:41 PM.
Old 6th December 2012, 04:38 PM   #396
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldermizer View Post
Have you ever heard the "spoken word" recording "I am sitting in a room"?
I "experienced" that effect just last night . . . I was walking on the UCB campus talking on my cell phone (I'm so ashamed ) and passed under a covered walkway (at the Music Building of all places) and the reflection of my voice from the roof made me stop . . . my wife could hear it even over the phone as I walked back and forth from under the "ceiling" . . .
Old 6th December 2012, 04:54 PM   #397
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I'm not sure if effective diffusion is really practical in a small listening room

Indeed. That's why I don't think that anything omni is a good idea unless one wants realism "on the cheap".
Why do you consider an Omni so inferior to a dipole ?! An omni like pluto sure sounds more realistic than simple boxed monopoles . And as per comparison between pluto and orion by SL himself, these two speakers sound quite similar. Actually pluto can sound like orion at a closer listening distance making omni preferrable to dipole in a small room.

Last edited by soundaatma; 6th December 2012 at 04:56 PM.
Old 6th December 2012, 04:55 PM   #398
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewardh View Post
I did that too, back when I had Maggies with the "true ribbon" tweeter . . . they were just too bright otherwise. But there are better ways to address the negative effects of excessive high frequency reflections without losing the benefits of reflection in the mids . . .
Adjustable rear tweeter? But what's so desirable about very early, very loud front wall reflections?
Old 6th December 2012, 04:59 PM   #399
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundaatma View Post
Why do you consider an Omni so inferior to a dipole ?! An omni like pluto sure sounds more realistic than simple boxed monopoles . and as per comparison between pluto and orion by SL himself, these two speakers sound quite similar. Actually pluto can sound like orion at a closer listening distances making omni preferrable to dipole in a small room.
I don't. I consider both inferior They do sound more realistic than high(er) directivity speakers but they also sound like this:

Click the image to open in full size.

...instead of that:

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 6th December 2012, 05:15 PM   #400
diyAudio Member

Quote:
But what's so desirable about very early, very loud front wall reflections?
Where do you get "very early, very loud" ? ? ?

If the single "between the speakers" specular reflection is diffused or absorbed then the reflections are twice reflected, multidirectional and delayed by at least 15-20 milliseconds . . . and individual reflections are generally 10-12 dB down, often more. The resulting diffuse sound field is much more satisfying than multi-channel synthetic reverb from a couple more point source speakers.

Hide this!Advertise here!