New Linkwitz "LX521" speakers.. - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th November 2012, 02:56 PM   #31
lolo is offline lolo  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindhornman View Post

I understand how some like that sound, I just prefer a direct radiator in the regards to localization that is fairly lost with most dipole speakers.
If you do treat the rear wave in one of the two ways mentionned, you will keep the precise localization even with dipoles. You might loose a bit indeed if you set them up too close to untreated surfaces and not symetrically, but that's not how it should be. Dipoles are very precise. The LX521 is actually adressed to the studio community.
Old 13th November 2012, 03:01 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

lolo,
I have a major problem with this speaker for the studio applications. I do not see how if you are sitting behind a mixing console you are going to be able to use the speaker as it is designed? I would think that you would have to raise the speaker up off the floor to have any chance of hearing any direct sound from this design. Now if you raise the speaker up let's say a meter or more then all of the sound design will change on this speaker. How would you practically use this design in a studio I just don't understand.
Old 13th November 2012, 03:12 PM   #33
lolo is offline lolo  France
diyAudio Member

Well, I guess you are right, you would have to redesign the whole thing around them. More space, less treatment, closer to a real room maybe.
Anyway, you certainly cannot put them in any tiny dead studio, for sure not..
I thought a lot of engineers gave up on the massive consoles a while ago? And aren't many studios using the B&W 800 serie? I could well see the LX521 in something like the old mastering room of Plant Studios.

http://www.equitech.com/ourclients/feb01.html

Last edited by lolo; 13th November 2012 at 03:16 PM.
Old 13th November 2012, 03:20 PM   #34
dewardh is offline dewardh  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john k... View Post
Every time I have listened to an in wall system it has sounded very flat (pun intended),
. . .
My experience is that a pretty good speaker will sound a lot better in a well laid out room that an excellent speaker dropped in the middle of an average living room.
Yes to both observations.

And next we'll be told that you can "fix" that with DSP . . .
Old 13th November 2012, 03:23 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus76 View Post
I don't think that he would consider the old Orion without the rear tweeter as an example of a bad dipole.
Short memory . . .

That argument began the day ORION was announced.
Old 13th November 2012, 03:35 PM   #36
Banned

If it helps, I didn't say that dipoles are bad, I said that dipoles and monopoles are equally bad if the room is not part of the equation
Old 13th November 2012, 03:38 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich31td View Post
Anyone know what the reason for using 3-way active crossover and a passive crossover?
Engineering. Although nominally a "clean slate" design it was still constrained by available components (particularly the existing three channel ASP crossover boards) and "popular resistance" to another pair of amps (my speculation).

Plus, the low order crossover and well behaved cones of the dual mids don't give active any particular advantage . . .
Old 13th November 2012, 03:47 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewardh View Post
Short memory . . .

That argument began the day ORION was announced.
Actually, well before that. Rear tweeters have been a topic of discussion as long as I can remember. But it is true that the introduction of the Orion brought the argument to the surface again, and SL was vehement that a rear tweeter wasn't necessary. I recall he even had a discussion of it on his web site. And of course, the rear tweeter on the NaO II was greeted with jeers. Then, post Pluto, things changed over there on the west coast.

And now I am suggesting that with theses extended midrange designs with tweeter crossover at 6 or 7k, the rear tweeter isn't all that necessary. My feeling is that the rear tweeter was required on designs like the Orion and the NaO II to fill in the rear radiation between above the comparatively low crossover of between 1.4 and 2.2k , depending on which speaker we are referring to.

As to why the LX521 uses a passive crossover, I believe it was stated elsewhere that it was because SL wanted to use the existing PCB from the Orion which is limited to 3-way active. (Dewardh, you type too fast. )
Old 13th November 2012, 03:47 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindhornman View Post
I just prefer a direct radiator in the regards to localization that is fairly lost with most dipole speakers.
"Localization" is certainly not "lost" with the LX521 . . . "phantom" images were as-or-more concrete and localized than I have ever heard . . . far more than any other speakers on display . . . this despite the less-than-ideal room and (concrete) front wall. Quite amazing, actually . . .
Old 13th November 2012, 03:51 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewardh View Post
Plus, the low order crossover and well behaved cones of the dual mids don't give active any particular advantage . . .
Well I have and continue to question that based on excursion. Plus, I would have placed the passive between the tweeter and upper mid. Makes more sense from a power spectrum point of view. And, what happen to direct connection to the amp yields better control argument.

Hide this!Advertise here!