New Linkwitz "LX521" speakers.. - Page 32 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th November 2012, 12:11 AM   #311
diyAudio Member

Yes, but kit designed by SL, JohnK, Troel, Zaph etc. are targeted for people who are generally not equipped nor interested with microphones and do not have a stack of spare drivers!
Old 30th November 2012, 12:24 AM   #312
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainphile View Post
Yes, but kit designed by SL, JohnK, Troel, Zaph etc. are targeted for people who are generally not equipped nor interested with microphones and do not have a stack of spare drivers!
Your right.....
Sorry, I was just doing one of these ->
Old 30th November 2012, 01:04 AM   #313
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainphile View Post
Great FAQ posted on Linkwitzlab

linkwitzlab.com/LX521/FAQ.htm

From the tone of the FAQ perhaps SL is montoring the DIY boards, although not contribute/post.

It seems he suggest that we need to stop complaining about the looks and start building/listening
Yes interesting FAQ. I particularly like this one:

Quote:

Q5 - Will you offer a DSP based crossover/equalizer?
A5 - A DSP based xo/eq makes a lot of sense for manufacturing and cost reasons. For the DSP to become the sonic equivalent of the LX521 ASP will require a lot of attention to design and performance details in the digital and analogue bowels of the beast. I am not an expert in DSP application programming or even know how to chose the most suitable DSP engine. It is not on my priority list at this time.

Sort of the compliment of my Q12:

Quote:
Q12: After consideration of the Note II RS I have one sticking point. I really don't like the idea of a digital crossover. Will there be an active
analog version using any of the couplers?

A12: There are no plans for an active analog version of the crossover. If you are reluctant to build a system with digital crossover I would
suggest that you consider the Linkwitz LX521.
Old 30th November 2012, 01:51 AM   #314
dewardh is offline dewardh  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melo theory View Post
I would never build somebody else's design, no matter how good it is.
To me DIY is....
Design
It
Yourself
Where is the fun in copying somebody's work?
That's fine in theory, but there are several "answers" to it.

First "design it yourself" is a tiny fraction of "do it yourself" which is a tiny fraction of . . . so what might apply to us doesn't apply to most of "the real world", and sometimes even we just want a speaker that works the first time . . .

Second, well, here's my ORION experience: I learned about ORION because I'd been working through a DesignIY exercise based on PHOENIX, and was more than a little hesitant about whether I could (or would . . . I've got a lot of "unfinished" projects) pull it off properly (this was before the day of "easy" stuff like OmniMic and Arta, remember, and before a lot of the now-free design software was avaliable either). So when the ORION design was announced, with the step-by-step explanation of the decisions made, almost all of it "just made sense" . . . I could step through the design process just as I had been doing and come to pretty much the same conclusions, and design. IOW I could tell myself "I would have done that too". Why re-invent the wheel?

The whole point of the exercise was that I wanted a speaker that worked, and there it was. Good choice of drivers (albeit a bit pricey). No crossover to sit on the bench for months working out the kinks. I didn't want to change it to boom-box or "cardiod" bass just to be different, and although I thought that I did want a rear tweeter that at least was easy to add, and I also understood the arguments why not. I'm still ambivalent about it (in a 3-way design). No dealbreakers.

If I were starting from scratch I think I'd come to the same conclusion now about LX521. As it is I'll probably mod my ORION into a 4-way on a sort-of LX521 platform . . . but this is now, and I have both more experience and better tools to work with. And some pretty fine speakers to listen to . . .
Old 30th November 2012, 02:02 AM   #315
diyAudio Member

I didn't want to offend anybody here dewardh.....
I know how difficult it would be to build the Orion, even with step by step plans.
Personally, I don't see much satisfaction in building someone else's design. If I wanted their design, I would just purchased their assembled product. And if their assembled product is to expensive, I would just go without. Or design something around their theories....which is what we all do anyway of course
Old 30th November 2012, 02:35 AM   #316
puppet is offline puppet  United States
diyAudio Member

I think SL should offer a Lexan top baffle option.
Old 30th November 2012, 02:55 AM   #317
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppet View Post
I think SL should offer a Lexan top baffle option.
You should suggest that to Madisound (for their flat-pack), or to Tap Plastics (just give them the dimensions) . . . SL sells plans, but not parts.
Old 30th November 2012, 03:09 AM   #318
diyAudio Member

Quote:
If I wanted their design, I would just purchased their assembled product.
At the time there was no "assembled product" . . . (and when, eventuially, there was it was "over my pay grade").

The "enclosure" is not all that difficult for either ORION or LX521 . . . both are simple, in fact. Designing and building from scratch the ASP (3-way active crossover), however, would be a chore even for the well equipped workbench . . . this was before miniDSP made it all (relatively) easy. Electronics design and fabrication is a whole different skillset from loudspeaker design and from carpentry . . . part of the reason, I suppose, that so many people did and still do passive crossovers.
Old 30th November 2012, 03:25 AM   #319
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewardh View Post
At the time there was no "assembled product" . . . (and when, eventuially, there was it was "over my pay grade").

The "enclosure" is not all that difficult for either ORION or LX521 . . . both are simple, in fact. Designing and building from scratch the ASP (3-way active crossover), however, would be a chore even for the well equipped workbench . . . this was before miniDSP made it all (relatively) easy. Electronics design and fabrication is a whole different skillset from loudspeaker design and from carpentry . . . part of the reason, I suppose, that so many people did and still do passive crossovers.
Oh, yeah....I was defiately referring to the crossover, not the woodworking.
I would hate to deal with that. I hated doing passives in the day, I don't have the patience or dainty dexterity for such little trinkets
I'm very grateful for DSP.
Old 30th November 2012, 04:34 AM   #320
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Your right.....
Sorry, I was just doing one of these ->
Washing your mouth out with soap?

Hide this!Advertise here!