New Linkwitz "LX521" speakers.. - Page 23 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st November 2012, 03:05 AM   #221
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fas42 View Post
Perhaps because the bass drivers are physically decoupled from the higher frequency drivers, the vibrations excited in the framework where the bass drivers are mounted are less easily coupled to the carcase supporting the other drivers: these are the sorts of things I find make a considerable difference to the sound ...

Frank
I don't think this pertains to the question.
Old 21st November 2012, 03:08 AM   #222
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elias View Post
I find it interesting when Linkwitz explains LX521 and Watson:
My current sound and video setup

I'm wondering how is LX521 different from Orion in a way Watson does not work ? Why ITD enhancement does not gain improvement ? The listening room is the same. Afterall Watson was low pass filtered speaker so lower midrange is the main contributor.

- Elias
We can't start talking about this stuff again

must.....stay....on....topic
Old 21st November 2012, 03:09 AM   #223
DavidL is offline DavidL  United States
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewardh View Post
Don't you get tired of spaming your problems with your design into all the LX521 threads you can find?
As much as I admire John K's technical ability, I tire of his jealousy towards SL and his inability to just butt out of anything SL related and please John, don't keep denying that you don't do so. "My speaker design is better than your speaker design" got old a few years back. What I DO admire is SL's just ignoring all the noise and continuing his own research and betterment.
Old 21st November 2012, 03:23 AM   #224
fas42 is offline fas42  Australia
diyAudio Member

Where it possibly relates is in the key phrase "spatially unrealistic", used by SL. I find that stabilising speaker structures improves the quality of reproduction of the low level information which are the cues for sensing the space in a recording. If the main speakers are now doing a better job of reproducing this information then the Watson contribution may now be clashing, the two spatial environments being projected are in conflict.

Frank
Old 21st November 2012, 03:25 AM   #225
diyAudio Member

I don't think john is jealous of SL, I think he is just questioning why people are so enamored with SL's "new" findings when they have already been explored for some time now.
I also appreciate SL's trudging, and changing his views over the years. It's a great sign of humility.
Old 21st November 2012, 03:31 AM   #226
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Where it possibly relates is in the key phrase "spatially unrealistic", used by SL. I find that stabilising speaker structures improves the quality of reproduction of the low level information which are the cues for sensing the space in a recording. If the main speakers are now doing a better job of reproducing this information then the Watson contribution may now be clashing, the two spatial environments being projected are in conflict.

Frank
Ummmm........
This simply can't be. Do you really think so?
Noooooooo! No way.
Old 21st November 2012, 03:59 AM   #227
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melo theory View Post
I don't think john is jealous of SL, I think he is just questioning why people are so enamored with SL's "new" findings when they have already been explored for some time now.
I also appreciate SL's trudging, and changing his views over the years. It's a great sign of humility.
Both to me are gods of dipoles and I follow their work very closely and I'm sure they influence a lot of people in this hobby. We need someone who is vocal and technically capable. JohnK contribution is well documented in linkwitzlab (e.g. that baffle width article). What we don't need are blind followers I guess
Old 21st November 2012, 05:20 AM   #228
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainphile View Post
Both to me are gods of dipoles and I follow their work very closely and I'm sure they influence a lot of people in this hobby. We need someone who is vocal and technically capable. JohnK contribution is well documented in linkwitzlab (e.g. that baffle width article). What we don't need are blind followers I guess
Yes.. the attitude is sickening, particularly in any forum designed for such a discussion.

We should be *encouraging*, NOT stifling such a discussion.

Just because SL is a very well respected designer (and all around nice-guy), does NOT mean that his designs (and reasons for those design decisions), aren't open to criticism. Like-wise - JohnK's designs are also fair-game, and are in fact criticized (..hell, I was critical of the aesthetics just on this thread alone).

(..just think: we wouldn't have reams of threads in this forum alone if not for SL's reasoning/speculation as to the benefits of dipoles and their interaction in-room.)
Old 21st November 2012, 05:45 AM   #229
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Frank
The bridge over the woofer seems to me the most fasinating part of this speaker - does the vibration of the woofer affect the top structure ?

If it does not affect, this is something that should be used for all multi way OB designs
Old 21st November 2012, 05:45 AM   #230
fas42 is offline fas42  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melo theory View Post
Ummmm........
This simply can't be. Do you really think so?
Noooooooo! No way.
Heh, it's only a theory, I would have to listen to the actual setups to be more sure! In my own experiments, stopping the speaker carcase vibrating, or damping that excess energy that has to go somewhere when speaker drivers are working hard, pushing back and forth on the baffle, has made a very significant difference, creating a better sense of space.

It's a suck it and see exercise ...

Frank

Hide this!Advertise here!