New Linkwitz "LX521" speakers.. - Page 14 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th November 2012, 12:47 AM   #131
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
(..and now JohnK is going all "active", or at least providing that opportunity, which probably wasn't something he had originally envisioned.)

Can't let that slide by without a comment. Please recall that the NaO II has been offered in both hybrid and fully active since 2006. It's not a "now" thing. The "NOW" thing is that I'm going digital. And that's not so much for performance but cost. Plus, digital makes it easy to issue update (even though I generally don't issue them very frequently). I still stand by my position that most of the hype about fully active is just that. There are pluses and minuses on both sides. Choose your poison!

Last edited by john k...; 17th November 2012 at 12:49 AM.
Old 17th November 2012, 12:48 AM   #132
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melo theory View Post
Well, the BG neo3 planar dipole tweeter has been used for a long time on these baffleless speakers. Which I think is a better solution anyway.
Having been there and done that I would disagree.
Old 17th November 2012, 12:59 AM   #133
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john k... View Post
Can't let that slide by without a comment. Please recall that the NaO II has been offered in both hybrid and fully active since 2006.
..Doh, didn't know that.

But it was "a thing", no?

I think it's only been fairly recent with a much larger array of good inexpensive solid-state amp kits and cheap ready-made class D amps that active becomes more of a factor with respect to value (and as a result - actual use). 6 years ago.. not so much. It would be interesting to see SL's base sales/purchaser numbers (over the past 12 years).

Last edited by ScottG; 17th November 2012 at 01:04 AM.
Old 17th November 2012, 01:44 AM   #134
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post

He has protested multiple ideas (though not in any major respect), and yet (in several instances) later on incorporated them in one fashion or another.

Oddly the one constant isn't what he is often known for.

Most people think "dipoles" with SL. The real constant isn't that at all - rather "active" crossover. I don't think that will ever change.

(..and now JohnK is going all "active", or at least providing that opportunity, which probably wasn't something he had originally envisioned.)

-got's to be flexible.

I think the "hot topic" aspect of this build is a *potential* shift from the wider-baffle Orion format to this new narrow baffle format. Perceptually it might leave those who have invested heavily in the Orion design saying: "what?" (..I don't think it will happen with this design, but alterations to it down the road may well be declared "better" than the Orion.)

On top of that there is the oddity of the top baffle shape (..hmm, wonder if Canadians will go all the way with it and just cut-out a Maple Leaf?)
I first met SL at the Las Vegas CES show in the early Nineties, back when he was the designer of the Beethovens. I was surprised the Beethoven's had a sonic balance similar to my loudspeakers, with balance that favored vocal and orchestral music. We had fun discussing the differences in our approaches - he's more comfortable with complex loudspeakers than I am, and gives less weight to arcane audiophile issues like capacitor and amplifier coloration.

His designs have evolved in the direction of more complexity since the Beethoven days - stacks of amplifiers, and pretty heavy equalization in the active crossover unit that the dipoles require. I've gone in the other direction - not as far as the full-range driver crowd, but certainly chasing down every part in the passive crossover, signal path in the amplifier, and the I/V converter in the DAC.

Compared to the Beethoven's, which had a pretty lush, warm sound, SL's newer speakers are drier (tonally) but also more spacious sounding (as you would expect from dipoles). But I can hear the op-amps in the crossover/EQ unit and the solid-state amps and that's not for me.

But the subjective spectral balance is still very much SL, which is a lot more musical than the edgy, hard sound that dominates the commercial high-end business. The real dividing line is how you feel about transistor amps and op-amps; if you're cool with them, SL's your man.

I haven't heard John K's speakers, so I have no idea how they're balanced, but there's certainly plenty of good engineering there.

Last edited by Lynn Olson; 17th November 2012 at 01:56 AM.
Old 17th November 2012, 03:17 AM   #135
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainphile View Post
The wide baffle combined with small FR speaker would result in poor dispersion way below 1khz. My guess it would fall apart around 500-600hz.
How extended is the rear radiation of the mid range drivers used in dipoles by SL and JohnK ? I am very hesitant to believe that the rear radiation from the two midrange drivers of the LX521 is uniform as high as 7K, before the 2 tweeters kick in.

The magnets on the rear of the drivers would never allow the higher frequencies to be radiated at the same magnitude leave alone the polar pattern as the front side radiation.
Old 17th November 2012, 07:52 AM   #136
lolo is offline lolo  France
diyAudio Member

Sure, but it's very, very difficult to get true dipole behaviour above 3-4k. You get sort of a "dipolar" response but not true figure of eight. You would need an incredibly small tweeter back to back on a really narrow baffle to achieve that. But.. at the end of the day the rear wave is meant to be diffracted anyway. As long as you get some sort of cancelation at 90..

I'd rather have a true dipole in the low highs, this you can probably clearly hear, and the LX probably achieve that compared to the Orions. One interesting thing would be to compare a 45 toed in Orion next to an LX521. Despite all qualities the Orions have, I myself never been totally happy with the tweeter going so low, especially after hearing the B&G RD-75.
Old 17th November 2012, 08:24 AM   #137
diyAudio Member

SL and JK's arguments for going 4 way with a narrow baffle are very persuasive. But I was wondering if the theory holds true when using true dipole planar mids and tweeters like the BG Neo10 and Neo3 (or other ribbonesque tweeter)? Assume the baffle narrows appropriately.
Old 17th November 2012, 08:29 AM   #138
Rudolf is offline Rudolf  Germany
diyAudio Member

lolo, I completely concur.
As far as I understand it, the "problem" of the Orion never has been the figure 8 per se, but the bloom of the tweeter radiation pattern. And that mainly regarding the frontal hemisphere.
So what we should be adressing in the first place is not a front-back symmetry, but constant directivity in the front of the loudspeaker.
Since directivity can't be kept constant ad infinitum, we should make sure that it at least increases with frequency.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolo View Post
Sure, but it's very, very difficult to get true dipole behaviour above 3-4k. You get sort of a "dipolar" response but not true figure of eight. You would need an incredibly small tweeter back to back on a really narrow baffle to achieve that. But.. at the end of the day the rear wave is meant to be diffracted anyway. As long as you get some sort of cancelation at 90..
Old 17th November 2012, 08:37 AM   #139
Rudolf is offline Rudolf  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfdoddsy View Post
SL and JK's arguments for going 4 way with a narrow baffle are very persuasive. But I was wondering if the theory holds true when using true dipole planar mids and tweeters ...
There is no "theory" demanding 4 ways. If we had a 1" device, which could move litres of air, a one way dipole would be no problem. It is just the technical limitations of cone/dome drivers which demands a 4 way for "perfect" dipoles.
Old 17th November 2012, 09:14 AM   #140
Elias is offline Elias  Finland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolf View Post
Since directivity can't be kept constant ad infinitum, we should make sure that it at least increases with frequency.
I object this point !

There is no psychoacoustic requirement for increasing directivity with freq for sound reproduction in a small room. I think it should do just the opposite, smoothly decrease with freq. In other words, the radiation pattern should get wider with incresing freq.

- Elias

Hide this!Advertise here!