New Linkwitz "LX521" speakers..

Equipophiles -- NOT Audiophiles

It is also well known that audiophiles buy and listen with their eyes, not their ears.. ;)

Let's not concede the word "Audiophile" to those who love everything but the music. These people are better classed and labeled as equipophiles -- they buy for status, or to impress their friends, or to demark how wealthy they are, and the visual 'aesthetic' component is at least as important as the sound (that is, if they ever get around to listening to something other than test tracks that show just how deep the bass goes....)

I love music -- and as I listen to it mostly in the dark, I don't care if there is a visual monstrosity out there in my audio room, as long as it sings sweetly to me, and lets me hear my Mahler as though I were at the Vienna Musikverein. It's purpose is not to impress my friends, but to convey music as accurately and truthfully as possible.

Audiophile = lover of music

-- Charles

"We are all inventors, each sailing out on a voyage of discovery, guided each by a private chart, of which there is no duplicate. The world is all gates, all opportunities."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last edited:
I am in the process of building the 2nd pair of LX521's in Singapore... certainly in the 5th-10th pair in the world I am hoping.

All parts are almost in hand...some caps and resistors yet to land in my hands here, but drivers and wood all sourced. Boards and plans in hand. Time and effort now required to get them done in the next 2 weeks I hope.

They have been built for a while now....

http://walaneh.com/LX521/

chatfield1.jpeg

BEAUTIFUL .

A few European dipole speakers engineers favor a rubber/spring shock mounted mid-tweet baffle, since it isolates vibrations. A variation of the LX521 that uses a suspended mid-tweet baffle in order to use 12" woofers in the same volume looks very efficient.

Is anyone evolving the LX521 to include a rubber/spring hung mid-tweet baffle?

The dipole world needs a modest cost AMT tweeter.

Attachments

• WellHung.jpg
    WellHung.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 1,167
That's a really good-looking build! On the AMT there are some (relatively) reasonably priced units out there- it's not as if you need much bandwidth in this context. The BG Neo 3 shouldn't be underestimated in dipole configuration either. It sounds a bit less sparkly than some other tweeters but it is actually very good at presenting detail and a sense of space in a relaxed, unfussy way. For the bass end I would recommend the GR Research 12" drivers with the matching plate amps. Really outstanding sound and high output for a dipole bass system.

I really want to hear these speakers! Are there any in the Toledo, Detroit, Cleveland area? I know not likely. I intend to do a bargain basement version. A pair of Peerless 12" woofers in cabinets to start. Which I have. The same 8" midbass with its baffle board. And leave the whole top to a pair of original Heil Elites I have gathering dust. I have a Symmetry crossover that is very adjustable for between the 12" and the 8". And the Heil has an internal crossover of its own. Which will need to be upgraded.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
2x8 miniDSP XO and low cost class D amps are the way to go in my opinion. Trying to salvage your old passive XO's is probably not a good idea as the freq. and slopes are probably not well matched for the LX521. Also, there is a lot of EQ needed to shape the dipole response to make it flat.

I was able to make a 4 channel active XO and biamp at 50 watts/ch for about $110 total using 2x4 miniDSP and two TPA3116d2 amps. A 2x8 version will be about $360 for 8 channels including 4 amps. Having adjustable XO's on the fly is very convenient for tuning the system.

I really want to hear these speakers! Are there any in the Toledo, Detroit, Cleveland area? I know not likely. I intend to do a bargain basement version. A pair of Peerless 12" woofers in cabinets to start. Which I have. The same 8" midbass with its baffle board. And leave the whole top to a pair of original Heil Elites I have gathering dust. I have a Symmetry crossover that is very adjustable for between the 12" and the 8". And the Heil has an internal crossover of its own. Which will need to be upgraded.

Perhaps this could inspire you;

Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar
Extreme Open Baffle Active Speaker inspired by Linkwitz LX521

And also do not dismiss JohnK' s work on the subject; Music & design .com

Last edited:
does anybody knows if Mr. SL will still offer LX521 plan for DIYers? who knows what is the purchase process?
I tried to mail him for before-payment arrangement and now I've got a one week old no replied mail in my mail box. should I just send the money via Paypal and wait for a reply? any idea?