New Linkwitz "LX521" speakers..

There is a clarity and truthfulness to the midrange in the LX521 (long my pet peeve with the ORION, which improved with each X'over iteration) that is so natural and right that it is immediately clear we are dealing with a different caliber of transducer. Imaging specificity and micro-dynamics in the LX521 is significantly improved (high WOW factor) over the ORION -- hard to believe, but true.

Actually it's not that hard to believe.

Moving to a smaller diameter lower mass driver for the mids does this all the time.

4" driver with 4.5 grams of mms = better detail.

It's also in the range where it isn't "riding" the suspension or is otherwise overly damped. It would be even more detailed with a good foam surround and/or with greater efficiency.

Imagine what a design would be like with a similar low-mass small sd driver operated as a radial (..like the Pluto).

Zaph has some "companion" drivers to the fullrange that SL uses measured on his blog:

Zaph|Audio

Bearing in mind what I've stated above - consider what it would be like with Vifa TC7FD00-04 posted just below those drivers.. ;)

I spray painted the upper baffles with the following:

1 coat Sealer [1lbs Shellac] (Brushed/Wiped "flooded' on)
[sand 220/320/600 Grit smooth]
2 coats RUSTOLIUM grey primer
[sand 320/600 Grit smooth]
3 coats RUSTOLIUM "SAFETY RED" Enamel
[sand 600 Grit smooth]
3 coats Clear Laquer
[sand 600 Grit smooth first two coats -- allow 24 dry time between coats]

-- Charles

Thanks !! That sound like a real work of love and it shows ! :cool:

Sorry, I just can't resist the temptation...

Siegfried's Pluto - Fiat 500 Topolino
280px-Fiat500topolino.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

oh my lord.. how can one transform such a cute and classy car as the Topolino (a lady killer!) into such a beer fed monster!!! :eek: (just try to get a chick with that...bonne chance :p)

it's a bit like...

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/217/monicavitti84902.jpg/
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

vs...

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Uploaded with ImageShack.ushttp://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/442/christinaaguilerapng.png/

Last edited:
The evolution of F.I.A.T.'s 500 has many generations, the latest is shown here by car fanatic Jay Leno. It's hard for us Europeans to understand American culture, but it makes so happy to see Jays love to his 500 Abarth. But I hate that black colour and stripes, it should be classic pale blue or beige with brown rag top.

Europeans don't love nitro-blower V8's and wheeliebars. Just add a turbo and stiff suspension, then hit the serpentines or gravel roads.

Jay Leno's Garage: 2012 Fiat 500 Abarth - YouTube

Last edited:
The evolution of F.I.A.T.'s 500 has many generations, the latest is shown here by car fanatic Jay Leno. It's hard for us Europeans to understand American culture, but it makes so happy to see Jays love to his 500 Abarth. But I hate that black colour and stripes, it should be classic pale blue or beige with brown rag top.

I like the Abarth too. Thougt about buying one for a summer toy. Like the commercials too:

New FIAT Commercial -- FIAT 500 Abarth Cabrio "Topless" - YouTube

Europeans don't love nitro-blower V8's and wheeliebars. Just add a turbo and stiff suspension, then hit the serpentines or gravel roads.

Bet it would not be hard to change that. After all, we like F1 and Rally too, not to mention ALMS.

Last edited:
Actually we have a solid '50s rock'n roll & hot rods/drag racing subculture here in Finland too. Every Chistmas Eve we see four Santas driving in a Cadillac Eldorado convertible, top open no matter the weather.

I live in Jyväskylä, home of Flying Finns. The genes and mother's milk are strong, look at little Kalle learnig to drive in the winter ;)
He has a lot to learn, the car drifts way too much to win a rally
http://youtu.be/ZyyWnUAgMQ4

A POLL on 4-way dipole appearance would be more interesting to me than Car Talk.

Based upon appearance, would you prefer the standard NaO Note II or LX521?

Grill Cloth, or Naked?
Bright Colors or wood grain or BasicBlack?

(Our home dipoles are naked Baltic Birch)
(H-frame 2xTD15D + (TD10D + DIYribbon baffle))

Attachments

• Dipole Style Poll.jpg
    Dipole Style Poll.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 680
Last edited:
Aesthetics is difficult. I'd choose a clothed NaO or Orion/LX for my living room. the front plate has a function but it can be covered wisely. It is always good to have an option. But I like the wow-effect of naked LX, better than naked NaO.

By the way I love the looks and soundfield of Gradient 1.3 (discontinued)

My own personal feeling is that speakers should try to disappear into the decor and not attract attention to themselves. I did not care for the appearance of the original Note (or NaO II) so I started the RS series. It's difficult to say that they "blend in", but at least they are not screaming "look at me". I can not imaging having anything like the Gradient 1.3 anywhere in my home. Perhaps it's the conservative New Englander in me.

But the bottom line is that if you are choosing a speaker based on appearance, you have a problem.