New Linkwitz "LX521" speakers..

Perhaps because the bass drivers are physically decoupled from the higher frequency drivers, the vibrations excited in the framework where the bass drivers are mounted are less easily coupled to the carcase supporting the other drivers: these are the sorts of things I find make a considerable difference to the sound ...

Frank

I don't think this pertains to the question.

I find it interesting when Linkwitz explains LX521 and Watson:
My current sound and video setup

I'm wondering how is LX521 different from Orion in a way Watson does not work ? Why ITD enhancement does not gain improvement ? The listening room is the same. Afterall Watson was low pass filtered speaker so lower midrange is the main contributor.

- Elias

We can't start talking about this stuff again :D

must.....stay....on....topic :eek:

Don't you get tired of spaming your problems with your design into all the LX521 threads you can find?

As much as I admire John K's technical ability, I tire of his jealousy towards SL and his inability to just butt out of anything SL related and please John, don't keep denying that you don't do so. "My speaker design is better than your speaker design" got old a few years back. What I DO admire is SL's just ignoring all the noise and continuing his own research and betterment.

Where it possibly relates is in the key phrase "spatially unrealistic", used by SL. I find that stabilising speaker structures improves the quality of reproduction of the low level information which are the cues for sensing the space in a recording. If the main speakers are now doing a better job of reproducing this information then the Watson contribution may now be clashing, the two spatial environments being projected are in conflict.

Frank

Where it possibly relates is in the key phrase "spatially unrealistic", used by SL. I find that stabilising speaker structures improves the quality of reproduction of the low level information which are the cues for sensing the space in a recording. If the main speakers are now doing a better job of reproducing this information then the Watson contribution may now be clashing, the two spatial environments being projected are in conflict.

Frank

Ummmm........
This simply can't be. Do you really think so?
Noooooooo! No way.
:mad:

I don't think john is jealous of SL, I think he is just questioning why people are so enamored with SL's "new" findings when they have already been explored for some time now.
I also appreciate SL's trudging, and changing his views over the years. It's a great sign of humility.

Both to me are gods of dipoles and I follow their work very closely and I'm sure they influence a lot of people in this hobby. We need someone who is vocal and technically capable. JohnK contribution is well documented in linkwitzlab (e.g. that baffle width article). What we don't need are blind followers I guess :D

Both to me are gods of dipoles and I follow their work very closely and I'm sure they influence a lot of people in this hobby. We need someone who is vocal and technically capable. JohnK contribution is well documented in linkwitzlab (e.g. that baffle width article). What we don't need are blind followers I guess :D

Yes.. the attitude is sickening, particularly in any forum designed for such a discussion. :(

We should be *encouraging*, NOT stifling such a discussion.

Just because SL is a very well respected designer (and all around nice-guy), does NOT mean that his designs (and reasons for those design decisions), aren't open to criticism. Like-wise - JohnK's designs are also fair-game, and are in fact criticized (..hell, I was critical of the aesthetics just on this thread alone). :D

(..just think: we wouldn't have reams of threads in this forum alone if not for SL's reasoning/speculation as to the benefits of dipoles and their interaction in-room.) :p

Frank

The bridge over the woofer seems to me the most fasinating part of this speaker - does the vibration of the woofer affect the top structure ?

If it does not affect, this is something that should be used for all multi way OB designs

Ummmm........
This simply can't be. Do you really think so?
Noooooooo! No way.
:mad:
Heh, it's only a theory, I would have to listen to the actual setups to be more sure! In my own experiments, stopping the speaker carcase vibrating, or damping that excess energy that has to go somewhere when speaker drivers are working hard, pushing back and forth on the baffle, has made a very significant difference, creating a better sense of space.

It's a suck it and see exercise ...

Frank

I've been following this thread, but I haven't contributed up to now. In my opinion john k is indeed critical towards SL's designs, but he has the same attitude towards his own designs and is always open to criticism. And of course he keeps comparing the LX521 to his Note II RS - the speakers are very similar!

John, why do you now prefer domes over the B&G Neo? I have very good experience with the Neo in several designs and I ran into problems with domes in dipole. Along with the Mundorf AMT's I think the Neo is the best option for dipole highs.

I think SL's idea is better. The Black Swan Baffle is already so thick and the top cabinet is resting directly on the bottom, whereas for LX521, is there a gap between the bridge and the woofer ?
In the Black Swan the two cabinets are completely separate, each with its own set of legs, both resting on the floor -- just like the LX521. There is no physical contact between the two, apart from a speaker linking cable, minimising transmission of vibration.

Frank

That is indeed a seemingly convincing argument for using a 1st order approach, until you look at the actually GD for different order couplers and the specific 1st order alignment claimed on SL's site. But the biggest contribution to non constant GD is due to 120 Hz HP. Look, and I am sure some will get po'ed at me for saying this. It's salesmanship. It's spin. It's 1/2 of the story. It's like that commercial, "I heard read it on the internet and you can't post anything that isn't true on the internet!" You read it and it sound very convincing, particularly to the uneducated. But if you question it and look at it the reality is that both a 1k Hz LR2 and a 1k Hz B3, with one driver inverted, have the exact same GD, and the DC GD of those two crossover is lower than that of a 1st order aligned to sum at the -6dB point. The 2nd and 3rd order cases also have a less steep variation of GD through the crossover region. So, if it is GD alone that is setting the choice, 2nd or 3rd order wins.

[edit] If you are really concerned with the GD, then build a linear phasze speaker using the Bodzio UE. Constant GD across the audion band. Period!

I might try Bodzio, why not.. Is the B1 filter used by SL reversed polarity? I am not sure I understand the "quasi B1" thing..

They were combined with 1st order quasi-Butterworth filters, which are 6 dB down at the crossover frequency. Both drivers then add in-phase over a limited frequency range.

SL is claiming smooth GD from 120 til 7k.

Last edited:
I'm wondering how is LX521 different from Orion in a way Watson does not work ? Why ITD enhancement does not gain improvement ? The listening room is the same. Afterall Watson was low pass filtered speaker so lower midrange is the main contributor.

- Elias

that is very strange indeed. one can think the Watson also provided some reflexions EQ for Orion's lack of CD.. but still, it's intriguing. :confused:

Listen guys, take a deep breath. I think maybe I should change my user ID when I post a comment about SL's speakers. Please, for a moment sit back, and consider the message, not the messenger. Consider exactly the point I brought up, a 1st order coupler may not be the optimum way to go. This was base primarily on the FACT that it leads to greater excursion at low frequency which, regardless of what you may or may not hear, isn't a good thing. Can you at least accept that? I have looked at this in the past, and I took the time to reconfigure my system with different order x-o's to see if there were audible differences. How else here has made any such effort? I reported that for the most part I could NOT detect anything significant that I could attribute to the order of the coupler x-o, though I seemed to favor the 2nd order slightly. Is than not an admission that while I don't think it is technically the best way to go, I didn't hear any significant detrimental effects for it? Ultimately it was brought up that SL stated something about group delay. I looked at that, with an open mind, and reported back that in fact 2nd and 3th order had slightly lower GD. Want to see the plots? What to see the data for my system? Still, I refer back to my listening experience where in I commented that perhaps (PERHAPS) the slight difference in GD of the 2nd order was what drew me to it.

So really, just what is it that you object to, the scientific method? I've followed a path to investigate what I though might be a place for improvement and concluded what, that maybe 2nd order is a pubic hair better? If you recall, I started with my system having a 4th order so obviously, if I now favor 2nd order I originally blew it.

So, and if I seem arrogant, it is not my intension, but gees guys, until you get down and dirty and dig into this personally, all you are doing is rattling walls. I am fortunate that I just happen to have been working on a system upgrade to the Note that happens to be very similar to SL's design. If it had not been for SL's announcement of the LX521, it would probably still be sitting in a corner gathering dust because I had pretty much lost interest in it.

So to all, have a Happy Thanks Giving and I'll see you in a couple of days.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
John
You know that as much as your technical opinion is respected, it's difficult to take it as being objective in a thread that is supposed to be about SL's new speakers...you are clearly dominant.

How many posts has SL made ?

This does not question you in any way but maybe it might be contrived as thread highjacking ?

I personally would love to discuss your speakers on your thread.

I might try Bodzio, why not..
Absolutely. There's no reason not to make notanotherLX521 a fully active 4-way, either emulating the crossover in SL's "hybrid" design or choosing different slopes (or even crossover frequencies). Once crossover design is "computerized" it all becomes (relatively) simple, and easy.

At this point the "design" of 4-way narrow baffle dipoles comes down simply to choice of drivers, "optimizing" the baffle(s) for those drivers (to get as close as possible to the desired polar) and rote, where the "designer" picks crossover frequencies and slopes, enters the numbers and the computer does the rest. Then you listen to see if the changes made any audible difference, rinse and repeat. What we used to call "voicing" is now just tweaking the tone controls (which is all it ever was, but they used to be "fixed" once the design was "done").

Last edited: