New Linkwitz "LX521" speakers..

LX521 Plans

does anybody knows if Mr. SL will still offer LX521 plan for DIYers? who knows what is the purchase process?
I tried to mail him for before-payment arrangement and now I've got a one week old no replied mail in my mail box. should I just send the money via Paypal and wait for a reply? any idea?

Siegfried is still alive and kicking -- and taking orders for the LX521 version 4 [DSP based]-- use the paypal method. The analogue ASP version is 'kaput', though you can still get the PCB's from Dr. Frank Brenner at ' info@magiclx521.com ' . FYI -- you will get the plans for the loudspeaker chassis in PDF format.

LX521.4 Ordering information

Send an e-mail message with the subject "LX521 order" to tell me the details of your order and to provide me with shipping information.
Copy the example below into an e-mail message to sl@linkwitzlab.com or slinkwitz@gmail.com and edit the underlined text .
(Drag your mouse over the text to highlight it, then COPY and PASTE into your e-mail message)

I intend to do a bargain basement version. A pair of Peerless 12" woofers in cabinets to start. Which I have. The same 8" midbass with its baffle board. And leave the whole top to a pair of original Heil Elites I have gathering dust.

LINKWITZ:
"The two SEAS 10" woofers ended up in a V-frame baffle after I had first tried a W-frame for force cancellation. I did not like the complexity of baffle construction, given my DIY skills for square joints. I also wanted the baffles to use as few wood parts as possible, to eventually provide a low cost flat-pack of parts. The V-baffle also has a less pronounced resonance above the working range of the woofer than a W-frame. Even with the W-frame much mechanical vibration was coupled to the midrange/tweeter baffle when it was placed directly upon the woofer baffle. Therefore a bridge is placed over the V-frame woofer, which detaches the woofer from the midrange/tweeter baffle. "

Instead of building this "bridge" for vibration de-coupling, consider an elastic shock mount for the midrange/tweeter baffle. This will allow you to use your 12" woofers but keep V frame dimensions similar to the 10" woofs on (LX521+bridge). Several European designers report good results with elastic, or spring, or inner-tube suspensions on dipole speakers.

see my picture in post #545

Siegfried is still alive and kicking -- and taking orders for the LX521 version 4 [DSP based]-- use the paypal method. The analogue ASP version is 'kaput', though you can still get the PCB's from Dr. Frank Brenner at ' info@magiclx521.com ' . FYI -- you will get the plans for the loudspeaker chassis in PDF format.

I think SL was away and not accessing emails etc until earlier this month. Hang in there. LX521 plans and its variants should still be available. Hi is perhaps delayed on his return or busy catching up with what he couldn't do while offline.

thank you both :worship:

Last edited:
I believe the LX521 and required MiniDSP can also be ordered through Madisound.
Madisound sells the set of drivers, but best of all, they sell the cabinet in flat pack form, done in plywood using a CNC machine. Not cheap, but for us wood-working-handicapped, it's worth the cost. You need to have purchased the plans, since they check with Linkwitz before selling you the cabinet flat pack.

I have tried my hand at writing a review (perhaps a description would be a better phrase) ...

Resonance Frequency

Check it out (using a grain of salt ... ;)

-- Charles

Hi Charles

Nice website and it was your videos that first introduced me to the Linkwitz LX521, thanks. I wanted to ask if there have been any further updates to your system?

Many thanks
Robert

BEAUTIFUL .

A few European dipole speakers engineers favor a rubber/spring shock mounted mid-tweet baffle, since it isolates vibrations. A variation of the LX521 that uses a suspended mid-tweet baffle in order to use 12" woofers in the same volume looks very efficient.

Is anyone evolving the LX521 to include a rubber/spring hung mid-tweet baffle?

The dipole world needs a modest cost AMT tweeter.

this is only an idea drawning?
or is yours speaker?
i agree whit damping vibrations through elastomer or mechanics behaviour equivalent.
if accurate reproduction is your primary target,
solely diaphragm cone driver can vibrate.

Everyone does this. So I guess everyone has a problem. ;)

..though this is not to say that it's the primary deciding factor.

The reality is that most high expense items are about fashion. (..a fair number of low expense items are as well.)

I chose tuna with good taste, and tuna that tastes good.

Attachments

• IMG_20191116_183115.jpg
    IMG_20191116_183115.jpg
    503.8 KB · Views: 356
Archimago liked LX521 at PAF 2022 http://archimago.blogspot.com/2022/07/pacific-audio-fest-2022-paf-2022-day-1.html#more

"They look odd. But these LX521 speakers sound fantastic. Highly recommended listening to get a sense of what a speaker without the box sounds like. 4-way, dipole design. Lots of power and various compensations needed. Those amplifiers on the floor contain 6 nCore modules inside; I believe they're the PowerBox 6pro.

Duke Ellington's "Take The 'A' Train" and Christian McBride & Gina Gershon's "Chitlins and Gefiltefish" (Conversations With Christian) showed off the remarkable soundstaging ability and just the "cleanliness" of the amp and speaker combo. No doubt certainly one of the best (if not the best) sound I heard all day."

Reactions: 1 users