Open Baffle natural roll off?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What he means is that in the dipole, without a filter in place, as frequency decreases, excursion goes up and ends up being destructive. Even if you were after say a 1st order roll off at 500Hz and your baffle was sized to give you just that, you would still need a suitably steep filter to keep excursion either constant with decreasing frequency, or decreasing with decreasing frequency (steeper filter).

Yes that makes sense, I realized I made a mistake in amusing a 12dB/octave instead of 6dB/octave natural roll off.

I have now implemented a LR4 at 120hz and dipole correction shelf.

I just hope that one Peerless XLS 830452 in each baffle will suffice?

I have cut all the MDF ready to make the H-frame, just need to route the driver cut out in the baffle and glue together.

I used 1 xls per channel for a long time before upgrading to a push-pull pair. One pair is fine unless you're wanting to really listen quite loud.

I am sure you are aware of the ebay buyer who routinely sells 452s for about £90 each, should you feel the need to double up. The gains are worth it imo, of going push-pull, but by no means necessary unless you really need the extra output.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I'm not sure what you'll end up with using a 10" woofer and 12" baffle, that seems pretty small to me - for OB. But most of the OBs I've built or worked with end up with about a 9dB/octave roll-off. Not sure why, but that's how they measure. At least down to Fs.

Will be very interested to see what results you get.

Just thought I would post a couple of pics of my progress.

I have yet to build the H-frame woofer so my BK subwoofer is supplying the bass for now, it also uses a Peerless XLS woofer so will look similar to the photos when complete.
The design is also a copy of Gainphile's S16 speaker.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hi, just jumping in my front are Ripols , Peerless the classic one with correction network, Manger, x-over mini DSP. Going 7.1 I like to have the rest open baffle. I could easily build another ripol as needed but I don't think so. In this setup the zurround speakers can roll off naturally I do guess

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.