Open baffle

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Anyone see any issues with using a 10mm thick steel plate for the baffle plate (laser cut for drivers and pressed for side wings and base plate). Also just how much low end can I expect from 2 x 15" woofers each side (fs=47, Qts=0.55, Xmax= 4.1, Vd=3505, Sensitivity claimed 97dB)?

I think, at 10mm, it is still going to ring like hell.

Ever knock on a military tank?

I know my 4 X 15" drivers will hit with authority.

0CAAC777-309C-4378-B18C-48879C258637-87-00000000DF71045C.jpg

The bases are 2.5" thick.

Blair

My long standing plan was to use sand filled panels like what G.A. Briggs did a very long time ago.
I haven't yet completed testing my prototypes which use farily thin MDF. If everything goes according to plan , the final version will be with sand filled baffles. These can be a pain to make. I have experience making many sand filled baffles and stands in the past.

Hi Tezza

Can you get hold of balsa wood? Someone told me years ago that balsa was used in the space program for vibration damping. Don't know how true that is, but it might be worth a try. That or maybe a thick layer of cork, if you can get hold of a reasonably thick sheet. I'd say 5mm up to 10mm thick ought to be good.

Would filling the gap (between the two layers of steel) with sand provide the damping needed?

Sand won't work IMHO. It does have vibrational damping properties, but I don't think it will damp the ringing enough. It works between layers of wood, but the resonance properties of wood is different to that of steel. I'd still say go for it with the steel, but use something more solid than sand as the constrained layer inbetween.

Enjoy,
Deon

Hi Tezza,

NaO-Mini, wood and steel plates. MR/TW section is original. H-Frame dipole is with AE IB15. Total 112 Kgr per side. No ringing.

Regards,
Claudio.

Attachments

• NaO Mini-1.JPG
    NaO Mini-1.JPG
    337.5 KB · Views: 179
  • NaO Mini-2.JPG
    NaO Mini-2.JPG
    208.7 KB · Views: 175
  • NaO-Mini-3.JPG
    NaO-Mini-3.JPG
    284.8 KB · Views: 179
  • H-Frame Woofer.JPG
    H-Frame Woofer.JPG
    454.3 KB · Views: 165
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.