Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th November 2012, 06:16 PM   #21
satx is offline satx  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks, done.

My Kef's are iq5's. No offense taken; that's one reason I'm here asking for advise on different speakers One thing I don't like about the Kefs is that they don't have a sound that has a lot of air and ambiance; not sure if that is the coaxial tweeter not being allowed to reflect as much information? They do image fairly pinpoint but with not much air and space, but I really don't care if this is a bit blurrier if it had more space or size to the sound, or whatever I'm trying to say. Also, the speakers never disappear at all. The sound stage stays confined between them and you can hear sound coming directly from each speaker. Would a convential driver layout with narrow baffle help with these issues?
I've played with placement a lot; they are currently about 30" from back wall and at least a couple feet from the sides and roughly equilateral triangle , so I don't think placement is the issue

I have considered all of Zaph's designs. I figured the ZA5's weren't going to be as high-end of a sound as some others; it's good to hear otherwise. I hadn't seen that page w/ all the different designs. I'll take a good look at them.

Evan
Old 10th November 2012, 06:48 PM   #22
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Member

The speaker you might want to look at in that general price range is the Zaph ZRT. Having worked with various drivers over the years, I would be much more inclined to use the ScanSpeak range. It's exteremly nice stuff.

There is also an option for a 2.5 way if you want to throw more money at the project. It gets expensive, but I would imagine that you would not have any need to change speakers for many years with the ZRT
Old 10th November 2012, 07:29 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

I looked at the ZRT and they are certainly very enticing, but quite expensive, especially for the 2.5.
So, are you guys suggesting me away from the NOMEX 164? Is there a reason?
Old 10th November 2012, 07:58 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

6l6 is right about the zrt, revelator stuff is good.

Look at the cost though-

and again, the measurements.... whats all that extra money getting you? on paper, arguably not at all for the bass unit (-especially as you can have a mmtmm for half the money!), and a tiny difference in treble, almost entirely above 16khz which you (like most ppl) cant hear up to anyway!

its not that it isnt good, its just it depends on what that money means to you. My brother in law earns 100k + a year, he wouldn't stop to even ask the question- he would just buy both (+have me build them too!) I do a big project every 2 or 3 years, so it matters more to me.
Horses for courses!

The Madisound Speaker Store

Thats not to say that looks dont play a big part too of course. But don't forget... you arn't going to see that lovely magnet on the back of the revelator tweeter once its in!

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com...-2.5-way-pair/
Old 10th November 2012, 08:24 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by satx View Post
I looked at the ZRT and they are certainly very enticing, but quite expensive, especially for the 2.5.
Yes. there is no doubt. Personally I would most likely make the 2-way. But that's me.

Quote:
So, are you guys suggesting me away from the NOMEX 164? Is there a reason?
I am not, just merely offering suggestions and options.

This is a journey that if you take, you will find that there are parts of it that must be done on faith - it's practically impossible to hear any of these designs beforehand, and so deciding what design to build comes down to a philosophical choice more than anything.

The thing is that the journey is more than half the fun. At the end, regardless of what you choose, you will have more knowledge and understanding of how this all works, what you like, and what you might do differently if you choose to continue in DIY.

You will also have an awesome pair of speakers.
Old 10th November 2012, 08:52 PM   #26
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi,

I'm currently using kef iq5's with a Peachtree Nova and I want a
noticeable upgrade in clarity, sound stage, ambiance and richness.

Evan
Hi,

The problem is none of the above requirements can be discerned
by poring over the details of a DIY design and all of them are
dependent on the total system, not just the speakers.

It would be nice to have a system that is just "better" at everything,
but that is far easier said than done, and one really is just guessing.

In that vein my best guess is the sort of thing you should build is :
https://sites.google.com/site/undefi...diy-sunflowers

One thing is for certain, they will sound very different to the KEF's,
and the Nomex 164's, they might be the right compromise for you.

As a design, I like it a lot, high value drivers, advanced development.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited by sreten; 10th November 2012 at 09:04 PM.
Old 10th November 2012, 09:04 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

sretens suggestion is another very high value design. Fantastic value for money.

However, please be aware of the positioning requirements of an open baffle speaker. They would need to be placed well away from any side and rear walls or other large flat surfaces to work.
Old 10th November 2012, 09:12 PM   #28
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbstyling View Post
However, please be aware of the positioning requirements of an
open baffle speaker. They would need to be placed well away
from any side and rear walls or other large flat surfaces to work.
Hi,

Not this one so much as the bass end is not open baffle,
but all good speakers work best away from boundaries.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited by sreten; 10th November 2012 at 09:15 PM.
Old 10th November 2012, 10:39 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

6L6-
I do really appreciate the suggestions. I've been researching different designs for maybe 6 months, so I've looked into all of these suggestions except the open baffles sreten linked. Even the two way is over my budget though. $900 has got to be the top end finished.
Sreten-
I'll check out the open baffles when I get back from dinner; my gf makes me leave the computer and do things with her occasionally. At a glance those look pretty great. I've played around with OB some any really liked the mid range but I had pretty much written them off for this project do to the width of them; racks of movies and cd's are in the corner behind one of the speakers. There is room to move them forward and back some; right now mine are a couple feet out.
Yeah, based on what I have gleaned from around the net, the price/performance ratio is one of the main reasons I had decided on the Nomex.

Evan
Old 11th November 2012, 12:47 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
6L6-Even the two way is over my budget though. $900 has got to be the top end finished.
Are you making the cabinets or going to buy pre-made?

Hide this!Advertise here!