Troels NOMEX 164: any thoughts - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th November 2012, 01:24 AM   #11
satx is offline satx  United States
diyAudio Member

250VDC vs 400 on the Jensens. Does that make any difference? Will buying cheaper caps have a negative effect on the sound? I would rather spend the extra 50-100 if the impact is noticeable.

Thanks
Evan
Old 10th November 2012, 02:31 AM   #12
Bare is offline Bare  Canada
diyAudio Member

Do Note.. that Troels gets his caps etc. supplied FREE by Jensen
He also admits to this IF you read more.
A lot of his stuff is arguably Infomercial.

Last edited by Bare; 10th November 2012 at 02:33 AM.
Old 10th November 2012, 03:31 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Huh, yeah I knew he was affiliated with Jentzen.

Thanks a lot for the responses guys I really appreciate it.

So, let me summarize:
Most seem to think that this is a worthy design to pursue.
I could save some in the crossover with iron core inductors and lesser resistors without noticable degradation.
Somewhat cheaper polyprops are OK.
Is the VDC an important figure to keep in mind with caps? It seem the cheaper the cap the lower the number.

Anyone have experience with the Axon True caps that were mentioned earlier.

Evan
Old 10th November 2012, 04:52 AM   #14
cotdt is offline cotdt  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cotdt
The voltage ratings are overkill. You can use 63V film caps from Digikey or Mouser. Most brands have film caps of at least 250V just because they don't have the technology to make the film layers thin enough. In fact, if you make your own capacitors with paper, oil, and aluminum foil, it will have a ~1000V rating.

For the tweeter capacitor, get something a bit better than Bennic/Dayton/Solen Fast Cap. Get something mid-tier. Many say it makes no difference but I really think it does.
Old 10th November 2012, 05:39 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Satx, your caps won't ever see a voltage above about 30V so 100V is more than adequate.

I'd keep air-core inductors if possible (Solen are fine), but cut back on the capacitor expense, except for maybe the tweeter cap.
You should try to keep your component expense in line with the drivers you are using, say <50% of their value if possible. The beauty of this design should is the cost/performance ratio.

Checkout Madisound Specials page for discount components.

Last edited by David Gatti; 10th November 2012 at 05:45 AM.
Old 10th November 2012, 05:45 AM   #16
...truth seeker...
diyAudio Member

my 2 cents:

The Axon linked by dumptruck are used in Theil Audio loudspeakers FWIW...

Clarity SA are at a good quality/price point for the tweeter cap. You can do better for more money. You do begin to get into the qualities of the other gear in your audio chain playing a factor in this...and the tastes of the listener...
Old 10th November 2012, 11:49 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

and yes, as others have said, i can confirm that Troels voices speakers on the laid back side for treble- I built the TJL3W's in 2008, and it was indeed a bit laid back for my liking. However- for reference- I like Focal and ATC speakers, so I quite like an exciting sound. Thats not to say he couldn't give you a slight revision for stronger treble if you emailed him- hes a very helpful chap.
Old 10th November 2012, 04:33 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Thanks, I added Clarity SA for the tweeter; didn't add much. I chose a Crosscap for the large lower woofer cap, Standard-z for the mids; do you guys think this is fine or will it create any synergy problems? Also, used P-core for large woofer coil. Would of used the AXONs but it was only a couple bucks difference and I already had everything in my cart at Parts Express. Everything's still in my cart, but I'll buy today unless people say different.

Yeah, one of the reasons I liked Troel's stuff is because it seemed voiced a little laid back. That was one of the main things I came to dislike about the Kef's is that they're a little shouty and harsh and thin at times; might be distortion and grain over voicing though? The Nova helped a good deal over my Pioneer Elite to richin them. I do usually keep the tube out of the circuit though because it takes some of the shimmer out of the treble so maybe I like a flat response, just smoother or cleaner? Anyways, in Troel's design if you leave out the parallel 18 ohm, you get a pretty flat response.
One question I had, can that 18 resistor be say lowered to get an in between tweeter level?
Old 10th November 2012, 05:18 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Really not keen on any kef speakers ive heard myself, but its very difficult to gauge the value of someones opinions unless you at least know they have similar taste, and its good to remind yourself of this every once in a while.

Kef's 'IQ' range all sound fairly high distortion to me, particularly dead, be that the 9 or any other(don't know what you use- if its this then no offense if intended!) but I cant say Ive measured it. The kind of speaker that would be my last choice for large scale classical as it sounds like the mid-driver is mounted in a cardboard box.

If you wanted to get a bit of a gauge of my taste and therefore value of my opinion to you- go and listen to any ATC or Focal speaker- if you don't think its detailed and clear, and bright, but not too bright- then you may agree with me on the Troels voicing- otherwise, just build it!

I think my choice would be one of these-
Zaph|Audio - ZA5 Speaker Designs with ZA14W08 woofer and Vifa DQ25SC16-04 tweeter

if I had my chance over again with building a narrow cabinet speaker, I'd be all over one of these like a rash, especially given the price!

Thats one of the best performing mid drivers of that size for any money, every bit as good (if not better!) as the seas w15 in the series of drivers I used in the TJL3W that cost me both arms and legs and it costs practically nothing!
Old 10th November 2012, 05:19 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

You can report post 19 to a mod by clicking on the triangular hazard icon in the bottom left and ask them to delete the duplicate.

Hide this!Advertise here!