New member with questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All, I am new to this site, just thought I would say hello and see if any one could help me with some questions? I have a 2.1 speaker system set up on my computer which is OK, 300 watt bass speaker and 2 satellite speakers 150 watts each. the problem is that they are getting to be quite old now and are crackling and getting some humming. I built a pair of speakers from scratch a number of years ago (about 12) for my hi-fi system and they are OK still. I thought it would be a good idea to build my own 2.1 system for my computer. I want quality music rather than loud music so I thought a bass speaker of around 600 watts and 2 satellite speakers of 200 watts each and maybe mid range speakers in the satellite cases. Q1. how do I work out what crossovers I need for each of the speakers (do I need them). Q2. I want to be able to control the Bass and Treble, can I buy the necessary controls. Like I said before it is a long time since I have built some speakers and I don't remember how lol. Any help anyone can give me would be very much appreciated, Thank you

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
C'mon, Cal : 600 W sub and 200 W sats are your size, you might be intrigued !

You know it man! :D

the problem is that they are getting to be quite old now and are crackling and getting some humming.
Make sure it's the speakers that are the problem. Sometimes it's other things making the noise.

so I thought a bass speaker of around 600 watts and 2 satellite speakers of 200 watts each and maybe mid range speakers in the satellite cases.
Is that all? :rofl: Actually watts don't really determine much. You build speakers around what dB you are looking to achieve. 80 dB is usually loud enough at a computer but if you are filling a room then you sometimes need 90 or 100. Party time, a little higher.
Q1. how do I work out what crossovers I need for each of the speakers (do I need them).
If you are at the beginning stage you might be best off to buy a kit speaker for your satellites. All the hard stuff is done for you but you still get to build the boxes. Some even come as flat packs so you just assemble the boxes. You might also want to consider a fullrange speaker so you have no concerns with XO's. Some of the drivers made today will really surprise you.
Q2. I want to be able to control the Bass and Treble, can I buy the necessary controls.
The bass control will come on what they call a plate amp. Plate amps are usually mounted in the woofer cabinet. The treble control is something you can avoid if you build a good speaker.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.