S22 - The latest dipole bandwagon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm sold to the benefits of maintaining constant dipole directivity to higher frequencies:

Skinny.png

So, the same thinking along the lines of the above designs:

s22.png

The Small MTM would be B3N and DQ25. Woofer will be either W22 or L21.

It should be fun :cool:

I'm sold to the benefits of maintaining constant dipole directivity
Me too. It's the one significant weakness of my ORION. Got to pay attention to the vertical also, though, so I wonder about MTM. I was quite impressed by the LX521 (which I heard at BurningAmp), but since I already have the dipole woofers and W22 "lower mids" I'll probably just replace the Milleniums with some sort of dipole "two way tweeter" . . . the Milleniums being where ORION's problem is. There are some nice flat and low distortion (and very inexpensive) Tang Band 3" that I like, and I already have some small tweeters that should do, at least for experimenting. The baffle will probably look a lot like the LX521, at least in the first few tries . . .

The Small MTM would be B3N and DQ25. Woofer will be either W22 or L21.

Your first sketch looks promising! :)

However, I'd opt for something with a more efficiency than the B3N. A 3" driver does not have a lot of power handling and will never be driven anywhere near xmax, since it will have to be crossed over very high. I know someone who used an Omnes BB3.01, which has 87 dB efficiency, without a baffle. 900 Hz was about the minimum crossover frequency he could achieve within thermal limits because of the acoustic short circuit. The B3N only does 81 dB @ 1 W.

How about this or this?

Last edited:
Looks like a great project. Having tested and compared directly to the B3N I'll second a previous comment about the Vifa TC9FD18-08, it's probably a much better choice. Higher efficiency, and much cleaner sound, it's a remarkable little driver.
I'm thinking to use them in a time aligned, group delay accurate OB with a di-pole AMT tweeter from Beyma TP150H, with the back removed and using a double CD horn front and back... but if I can get the Beyma to go cross low enough and still preserve the uniform group delay, then I would probably bypass the 3" drivers.

But do think about trying those Vifas!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.