MLTL for Tannoy DU386? GM?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, it's in the same era as the JBL small BLHs and its folding is conceptually the same, so don't be surprised if it has a similar response to it and the K15 [red trace].

GM

Attachments

• 2226 in C40.jpeg
    2226 in C40.jpeg
    143.1 KB · Views: 160
Ouch! That looks like a big peak around 100Hz, and very little below 60Hz. It'll probably sound impressive on rock, but not so good on classical (and I listen to both). Methinks I'll stay with the Berkeley boxes, and see what tweaks I can do to them. Thanks for your time and patience, and all the invaluable information. Very much appreciated.

Deon

Really nothing you can do with a reflex except tune it higher or lower.

GM

That, and I'd like to see what the effect of a Karlson cut in the port will have. Luckily the standard port is rectangular, so that will make experimentation easier. What will the effect of 1/4, 1/3, 1/2 and 2/3 length cuts be? As far as I understand, as the length of the cut gets longer, the broader the resonant peak will be. How will that affect the sound? What about broader and slimmer cuts? I will have to try and then find out, won't I? :)

Enjoy,
Deon

There must be some losses around the driver/internal divider cutout to get such a low average gain BW, indicating that getting this just right might be a tedious endeavor. I've done similar by 'gapping' the driver to the baffle, though a lot quicker/easier of course.

GM

That, and I'd like to see what the effect of a Karlson cut in the port will have.

Slotting the vent does lower the vent's Q with the trade-off being that it will raise Fp to some mean based on the slot's flare rate. Bottom line is there will be less bass gain BW unless a really large/long vent is used just to get the same amount of bass, same as when using multiple vents of differing lengths like Dr. Geddes has done on BP alignments, though it will be better damped like MLTL loading generates, or just using Olson's vent critical damping routine for that matter and why a combination of the latter two is what I normally use.

Like you say though, only one way to know for sure if it's worth all the extra effort.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.