MLTL for Tannoy DU386? GM? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th November 2012, 03:33 PM   #11
DeonC is offline DeonC  South Africa
diyAudio Member

That does look interesting, but do they give the build plans at all (IOW dimensions)?
Old 11th November 2012, 07:53 PM   #12
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeonC View Post
I was thinking experimenting with putting some foam or carpet underfelt in the port to see the effect.

I actually was just hoping for a more extended and stronger bass than I am getting with the reflex. This has set me wondering, if a MLTL is not really going to give me what I want, how about a TQWP. Here is my idea:
This may be overkill, what I meant was using Harry Olson’s battery/switch ‘click’ or impulse response ‘ping’ test, i.e. tightly stretching one or more layers of cloth over the vent as required [or not] to damp ‘hangover’ ringing/‘boom’.

Again, MLTL will give more extended bass, but not more efficient bass except by tuning it ~ the same as a [Berkeley] reflex, though in your case where you want the driver up higher, then the MLTL is preferred.

To get some serious bass gain, it will require a huge TL limiting it to around two octaves, i.e. ~20-80 Hz, ~30-90 Hz, etc..

A BIB might be your best option for a wider usable BW if it can be corner loaded, though at the expense of ultimate SQ.

A compromise performance between these two would be your folded TQWT tuned to around Fs, i.e. ML-Voigt in today’s parlance.

GM
Old 11th November 2012, 09:30 PM   #13
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ark View Post
i thought this was an interesting design by planet10 that could be scaled up....demetri
A folded ML-Voigt. To fold nicely needs to have driver off-set at 50%.

dave
Old 12th November 2012, 03:20 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Thanks Dave and GM. It seems the ML-Voigt is possible the solution I'm looking for. In my drawing, with the pipe being folded twice, it just so happens that the most convenient place to site the driver is at the mid-point of the pipe. This had me worried up to now as I had read that it should be at the 1/3-way point. Thanks for the good info. It is really appreciated.

Enjoy,
Deon
Old 12th November 2012, 06:44 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Only problem is that the GRF horns where developed for the Monitor Gold drivers, and they have different specs to my units. Will the DU386 work in these horns?
Dunno, what are the Gold's specs?

GM
Old 12th November 2012, 07:04 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Hi GM

Here are what I can find for the Monitor Golds:
Vas: 350l
Fs: 26Hz
Qm: 2
Qe: .22
Qt: .2
Mmd: 90g
Sd: 770 cm^2

The specs for the DU386 again (saves you from having to scroll up)
Vas: 483 l
Fs: 22 Hz
Qts: 0.18
Qa: 2.4
Qe: 0.2
Mmd: 68g
Mma: 22g
Sd: 770 m2
BL: 18.7 N/A
Re: 5.7 Ohm

The biggest difference seems to be the Fs and Vas, and the lower Qe/Qt. My knowledge of horns is very limited, but I hope they'll work. They'll definitely take up a lot less space than my TQWP idea. They rated down to mid 30Hz, and that will be more than good enough.

Thanks,
Deon
Old 12th November 2012, 12:55 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

GM, from your experience, do you think these GRF horns will be placement sensitive? I know the corner GRF is, but that I can understand considering the design and placement needs (sited in a corner with bare wall inbetween). I have an awkward listening room/space, so if they need a lot of breathing room around them (they'll be close to a big LP-shelf/bookcase on the one side), then this excersize unfortunately becomes academic. Well, for now anyhow. Later on I might move into a more suitable space, but that is in the future. Sorry for the many questions.

Deon
Old 13th November 2012, 02:00 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
My knowledge of horns is very limited, but I hope they'll work. They'll definitely take up a lot less space than my TQWP idea. They rated down to mid 30Hz, and that will be more than good enough.

Thanks,
Deon
Greets!

Without doing any sims, my SWAG is that it should work OK, though some series resistance may be required to better 'fit' the driver to the alignment.

Any response plots available? I don’t see how a ~6 ft^3 BLH is going to have any strong output to the 30s even backed up against a rigid/massive wall.

GM
Old 13th November 2012, 02:18 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
GM, from your experience, do you think these GRF horns will be placement sensitive?
BLHs typically need all the room help they can get and this one is no different, so up against a wall and preferably in a corner, ergo next to an LP rack will help it load to a lower F3, etc., though any gaps will act as resonant cavities.

GM
Old 13th November 2012, 05:37 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Hi GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
Any response plots available? I don’t see how a ~6 ft^3 BLH is going to have any strong output to the 30s even backed up against a rigid/massive wall.
None available that I know of, but that is according to the Tannoy blurb. They were designed to be used in stereo pairs as a replacement for the GRF corner horn. The corner horns are some of those ridiculously complicated folded horns that were designed to stand in a corner and use the walls as extension of the horn. These I can see going down to the 30s, maybe. I agree the rectangular horns are optimistic, but I hope to hit about 40Hz. I just hope they'll be better than the Berkeleys below 100Hz to about 50Hz. Speaking of 50Hz, maybe I should try a Karlson. Only problem with the Karlson is the lower midrange irregularities that scare me. A SNKBY pipe maybe?

Enjoy,
Deon

Hide this!Advertise here!