Does it worth to invest on cones for a Tannoy 605 II?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
I recently got for free a pair of Tannoy 605 II speakers, they have the midbass cones broken so I took them out and though about getting a new pair of good quality cones. They seem to be well built, sturdy construction.

I have had a look at Seas CA18RLY, that costs around 70€ each one. So that makes a total of 140€. Other speaker models does not fit well because their deep (78mm) is a tad bit more than the available clearance inside the enclosure (75mm).

Is that the best way to waste some money, or does it really worth to put a little of money into it to have a good set of shelf speakers?

On a mission? Those Teeny Tannoys are in boxes made of poor quality materials.
They Could Not conceivably be made cheaper.
IMO Not worth saving from the dumpster let alone fitting fresh drivers ($$) to.
That WAS your initial question.. was it not ?
IF you must... at least build fresh boxes of actual wood?

On a mission? Those Teeny Tannoys are in boxes made of poor quality materials.
They Could Not conceivably be made cheaper.
IMO Not worth saving from the dumpster let alone fitting fresh drivers ($$) to.
That WAS your initial question.. was it not ?
IF you must... at least build fresh boxes of actual wood?
you're right, thanks for your input :)

I realized that it is not clever to spend money without sense, so I got a pair of Visaton speakers of 18€ each one. They fit well, and, SOUND GOOD! I expect the sound to change along the next days, but for the moment it doesn't sond bad for the money invested overall. Anyway, it is not made for critical listening, but for my girlfriend's home. Paired with one of my gainclones, they are singing pretty well.
I use for myself a pair of B&W CM-5 and a pretty good SE tube amp.

W 170 - 8 Ohm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.