super duper newbie questions - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th February 2002, 04:03 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to M5150
Talking super duper newbie questions

hey im very new, i just discovered DIY audio yesterday, and i am amazed at what some people have come up with. i am now thinking of creating my own based upon the ME2, or something that i can fit in my very confining room with very clear mids and highs, bass doesnt matter much to me, it just has to be there, no real preference. i am also rather young (17) and inexperienced with electronics such as circuitry, i was wondering where a good place to start would be, to learn how crossovers work and such, also could anybody refer a good set of speakers to me? i want them to completely overshadow my boring klipsch 2.1 THX speakers, which have sloppy mids, but respectable highs to me, so any ideas on which kit to select?
Old 7th February 2002, 04:06 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

o ya, and the speakers will be used primarily to listen to classical music, so i want something with very good image, and also, im on a rather confining budget, maybe 400-500 tops for the speakers w/amp, the reason i want to build these is im getting an SACD player soon and i want speakers that will express it fully, not just halfly like my klipschs would
Old 7th February 2002, 11:31 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

anyone have any suggestions at all about what drivers to use, or what kits or enclosers? etc etc
Old 7th February 2002, 12:29 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi,
just a trace: since you already have clear ideas about wich 'software' to play and other important parameters, why don't you listen to some commercial speaker, in order to say 'I like the sound of XXX or YYY': that would help the 'club' in recommending components and configuration.

I would suggest some good small speakers of different 'philosophy' (all should be quite different from your Klipsch); the idea is not to list the 'best over all' but a fairly complete range of the interpretation of 'well sounding small speaker' concept.

- ProAC Tablette (4"woofer, very clear and bright, great image and soundstage, too much hyperdefined for some people)
http://www.proac-loudspeakers.com/proactab.htm

- LS3/5a (BBC monitor spec, built by several British mfg like KEF, Rogers, Spendor etc.)
The milestone of mini-monitors. Old project, old components, limited in power handling and freq resp. extension, low sensibility.
Someone hates them, many swears that is the non-plus-ultra.
For me, whitin their limits, they sound simply MAGIC.
http://www.ls35a.com/

- Sonus Faber Signum
Sweet and musical, hope they are distributed in CA
http://www.sonusfaber.com

- Snell K5
Don't know it really, I do remember the previous model and it was great.
http://www.snellacoustics.com/k5.htm
Old 7th February 2002, 08:08 PM   #5
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default ideas

You could have a look at John K's LS3/5A clone (not really a clone but inspired by).

Less expensive, but still good, would be a bi-pole or mono-pole based on the Vifa P13. Here is an example -- the TLb

dave
Old 7th February 2002, 09:48 PM   #7
PassFan is offline PassFan  United States
diyAudio Member

I use a pair of DCM Timeframes, model TF600. They don't make them anymore but I recently saw a pair on E-bay and they only went for 315.00 (new: 750.00). They are Transmission Lines and have good bass as well.
Old 7th February 2002, 10:09 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

whats the advantage of transmission line?
Old 7th February 2002, 10:18 PM   #9
PassFan is offline PassFan  United States
diyAudio Member

More bass out of a smaller package.
Old 8th February 2002, 02:25 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

what amp would u guys recomend? would u recomend building one? how much would it cost?

Hide this!Advertise here!