Loudspeaker as a part of musical instrument

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I play synthesizer keyboard. While it is well understood that this musical instrument is not an audiophile stuff because its sound is not naturally produced, loudspeakers are essential part of this instrument. So I'm designing a loudspeaker to maximize my synthesizer performance. For typical instruments, the signal is mechanically generated by human action, the instrument vibrates the air accordingly. That vibration plus the charaterized resonances make acoustic sound. For synthesizer, the mechanical action of human is translated into electrical signal that moves the loudspeaker diaphragm to vibrate the air.

So we are not talking reproduction of recorded music here. The context is about designing a loudspeaker as a musical instrument that produce its own sound from the electrical wave form.

The following is my summary for the requirements of the loudspeaker for synthesizer. Shaping up this requirement list is what I would like to ask from readers.

1) Because a synthezier makes many forms of electrical wave, a loudspeaker for the synthesizer should probably add no resonance characteristics to the acoustic output. Without the acoustical harmonics like the natural instruments, the harmonic contents must be included in the generated electrical wave form.

2) While the audiophile loudspeakers may reproduced the ambience encoded in the recordings and be required to be directional in order to reduce room reflections, the loudspeaker for synthesizer probably sound better if it can reproduce sound in the same way as most other instruments, that is omni-directional. I assume that it would make the generated sound more pleasant to listen to.

Are these requirements practical (or realizable to certain degree of success) ? Or the loudspeaker should be thought of in any other directions ? Please suggest.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.